What is your favorite video game series?

The DOOM franchise is not on the list?? I am a bit old school so have play since the days of the shareware version to DOOM Eternal. DOOM has lasted through the ages and is always good for the replay.

3 Likes

Since we’re all adding others, I would add Baldur’s Gate, Diablo and Divinity series to the list (I polled for Elder Scrolls).

5 Likes

Dude…I skipped school, parties and important family obligations just to play 1942 and then eventually BF2. It’s totally the series that got me into PC gaming.

3 Likes

You forgot Uncharted and Tomb Raider, really good stories. If we are talking last few consoles. There are so many to choose from, and all time is hard.

2 Likes

Gears fan I am but you list are all great choices me thinks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Borderlands is probably my favorite with final fantasy being a super close second. Hard to choose with some of that lineup but those two stand out the most for me.

3 Likes

Sounds familiar haha. Friends and I went to Best Buy 2 hours before they opened for the release of BF2. We thought there was going to be a huge line, and we wanted to get in and out as quick as possible.

No one else showed up…

2 Likes

Call of duty for me…haven’t been too good lately but I have high hopes for the new one

1 Like

Diablo :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Earth Defense Force

1 Like

The Metal Gear franchise is my favorite by far. I love the stealth espionage gameplay and Hideo Kojima is a master of layering depth with his story telling. Some of the titles are a little rough, but I’ve found ways to enjoy all of them. Even managed to 100% all the achievements on my favorite title, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

1 Like

For a series Legend of Zelda, just way to many good games as a whole.

As a stand alone game
Super Metroid
Metro Exodus

1 Like

My favorite video game series would have to be the Jak & Daxter games.

I love the original game, Jak II, Jak 3, the racing game Jak X, and even that PSP game Daxter.
Only one I never ended up playing is the last game, Jak & Daxter: The Final Frontier, but it received the lowest score out of all the games, so no biggie.

Any Jak & Daxter fans? :sunglasses:

3 Likes

FEAR is a fantastic series. I wish it was still around for a revive. For the third installment the studio consulted with John Carpenter.
I’m also a big fan of Dead Space.

4 Likes

I love the Diablo series. It’s my go to for cathartic zombie killing after a crap day.

3 Likes

Need for Speed and Forza

3 Likes

I really had to think about this one for a while. When you’ve played video games for over 30 years of your life you have quite the catalog to choose from. I guess runners up for me would be the Final Fantasy, Diablo, Legend of Zelda, Star Wars KOTOR, and Castlevania.

The number of hours I have sunk into Final Fantasy is pretty obscene. I started playing that early, in the old school Nintendo/Super Nintendo days, to Playstation and Playstation 2 and recently on PC with FF14. Probably a close second just due to sheer hours played. To be fair tho, those games are for the long haulers out there.

Diablo is just Diablo. Like @VossXX said, it’s carthartic zombie killing that just doesn’t miss. Simple formula, great execution, fun game, all equals many, many hours of productivity lost. Diablo Immortal is the only stain on this record and it’s quite the doozy. If not for that, I’d probably rate it higher.

Legend of Zelda series would have probably taken the cake if I had played all of them. I played the Nintendo versions, the great SNES version, probably 40% of the gameboy/mobile versions (there’s a lot of those) Gamecube/Wii and most recently would be the one that released when the Switch first came out. The reason this wasn’t the top is because I haven’t played them all, and that fact kinda sheds light on the fact I didn’t drop everything to play them.

Star Wars KOTOR (Knights of the Old Republic for you kids out there) is probably the greatest two part RPG Star Wars gaming experience full stop. I’m not even joking. The story was fantastic. And when you get to the proper ending at the end when that fleet of starships drops out of hyperspace to rightly whoop that ass of those Republic goody-two-shoe sissys it literally brought a tear to my eye. Revan was dark side and I’ll fight anyone who thinks otherwise. The only proper redemption story was Revan figuring out the Jedi fucked with him and he decides to dunk their heads in the toilet. Sadly, the games are rife with bugs, including but not limited to me not being able to finish the second one with the proper ending. So alas, this one cannot be listed as my favorite. That being said, if they came out with another one with all the new updated video game graphics and tech of nowadays… I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

Castlevania is castlevania man. People throw the term Metroidvania around like it means something original when in reality it was modeled off of Castlevania the entire time. Simon’s Quest was a Chef’s Kiss masterpiece and continued to be so until the Playstation classic SOTM (Symphony of the Night) introduced Alucurd and I lost like a year of my life just sitting on a couch trying to get that one MOB TO DROP THAT F-ING SWORD or whatever else I was after.

Also quick hat tip to Resident Evil and Bioshock… my god the setting in those games kept me glued, hard, to the screen for hours and refused to let go.

All that said, for me the winner is Mass Effect. Honestly it’s kinda shameful how that series ended. But that was the last series I paid full price for (and that’s saying something in the age of Steam). Considering Mass Effect 3 was the last game I paid full price for at release when my normal method of operation is just wait a year or two and pick it up for 20% off and all the bugs fixed, yeah. Mass Effect was like the culmination of storytelling, Bioware in it’s rarest form, like they took all the lessons from KOTOR and turned it into this compelling, can’t close your eyes, SHEP WAS TOTALLY A FEMALE, sci-fi masterpiece from the music, voice, graphics, exploration… just an amazing series of games. And unlike the Dragon Age series that got worse as it went on, Mass Effect just improved every time until the very ending. The ending quite frankly kinda sucked, especially for all the build up and character development they had going for it. But honestly, that game is more about the journey then the destination, so I have to give it the ultimate nod. Truely, if they came out with another installment in the Mass Effect Series, I would put down $60 or more (I’m not sure what release games cost this day an age… shows you how long it’s been since I paid full price) and walk away happy. Sadly, Bioware is more machine than man now, and their fire has long since vanished from the Galaxy.

Commander Shepard was totally female. Come at me.

3 Likes
  1. Call of Duty - FTW

2. Assassin Creed

3. Madden

Honorable mention old school Tecmo Bowl

3 Likes

Jak & Daxter where really fun games

Vexx was likley may fav platformer of all time.

3 Likes

If im thinking of everything but gameplay, I’d have to go with Life is Strange.
If gameplay is a factor, I’d probably go with Tom Clancy’s The Division, even though theres only 2 games.

1 Like