What is your favorite video game series?

I voted for Mario, here’s my hot takes:

1. 2d Mario side scrollers are far superior to any 3d Mario game

2. Pokémon has been the same exact game since the 90’s and has always been repetitive and boring

2 Likes

I voted for Zelda; love that series; except Hyrule warriors… Imo that game needs to go away from existence.

Also I’m very disappointed resident evil is only 2%

Yikes.

3 Likes

The Borderlands probably has the most time sunk into it for me. I don’t play multi-player games much but playing through the game where others can drop in and out of the single player campaign with me.

2 Likes

Half-Life and Portal, they hold a special place in my heart. I’ve waited for a new HL game ever since Ep2 ended, I finally got to play Alyx this year and I cried my eyes out when I finished it.

I have yet to play Bioshock, Fallout and Halo, but even when I’ll get to play them, I’m sure they will not dethrone the Half-Life series, simply because nostalgia.

3 Likes

Carmageddon.

1 Like

I chose Elder Scrolls being my #1 for franchise games. It immerses me into a fantasy world i cant ever get enough. I would also say Final Fantasy being the equal to my love for elder scrolls. between those 2 are my top 5 games of all times.

3 Likes

When I think about my favorite as a series it has to be Assassins Creed. Individual games from CoD, TES, RDR, Halo, and Soulsbourne I have put way more time into, but AC is always beautiful and fun, I wouldn’t say well put together at launch but even the bugs are fun to me

3 Likes

4 was one of the most surprising and amazing campaigns for Halo in my opinion. However, they got to 5 and essentially ignored 4 all together. Enjoyed 6 campaign but there are some multiplayer issues that have turned me and my friends off to it at the moment.

The graphics for the 4 campaign still hold up really well.

1 Like

the Red Dead Redemption games! I’ve replayed both far too many times lol

5 Likes

I’m a huge fan of the Dishonored series. The aesthetic of it all is just gorgeous. Really hope a new one is in the works. Deathloop scratched an itch, and Prey was great, but Arkane became one of my favorite studios with Dishonored.

As far as consoles-exclusives go, I am a PlayStation kind of guy, so The Last of Us is, for me, peak story-telling.

Breath of The Wild is basically the only reason I own a switch. Came out around the same time as Horizon Zero Dawn. Played both, love both, but whenever I travel it’s what makes the hours on a plane just slip away.

Uncharted 4 is what sold me on Naughty Dog’s dominance in the industry. The chemistry between Nate and Elena pulled me into that story in a way no other game in that series did. It’s also a beautiful game to look at.

As for the survey, I chose God of War. While the boss fights can be repetitive, the story is great and the character development is fantastic. The fact that it’s also out on PC now is even better.

Best game this year (so far) will have to go to Elden Ring for me. Never played a Souls-Borne game up until this one. I get the draw to these types of games. When you finally beat that one boss that has been kicking your butt for hours (or even days) on end, you feel on top of the world, but then there is always the next one to humble you.

At the end of the day, I am just happy that I am get the opportunity to play so many amazing games!

4 Likes

Pokemon or bust.

2 Likes

Definitely Dark Souls or Mass Effect! Tons of replayability and fun every time.

2 Likes

Love Borderlands and totally agree, the co-op on that game is one of my favorite of all time. Also Claptrap is the funniest character in any videogame and no one can convince me otherwise.

2 Likes

Metroid.

The mother of all Metroidvanias and, with Dread, still making some of the best ones!

4 Likes

Half-Life

2 Likes

I picked Halo because Halo CE is probably my all-time favorite game and what really got me into shooters back when it came out (also sold me and my friends on the Xbox being our primary console moving forward lol). I love Bungie’s Halo and I’m not very taken with 343i’s games; Halo after Bungie has been mostly a dumpster fire IMO (but the multiplayer is still solid). I don’t know, it’s hard to say definitively what my favorite franchise is. Halo, Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, and Elder Scrolls are definitely my top 5.

4 Likes

Fallout is the best game series of all time…if you can ignore the bugs that is. Fallout new vegas is the best of the bunch in my opinion

3 Likes

New Vegas is definitely the best of the bunch, I will die on that hill. Also, if you like long video essays, Hbomberguy did a video on why New Vegas is great (and another on why Fallout 3 is not lol).

4 Likes

Mine would be a series that is sadly now dead. Breath of Fire, it was my first rpg and even though they today’s standards the story is simple, back when I was s kid it was such s grand tale that to this day I appreciate the doors it opened to me in games.

In fact I ended up buying 2 plushies of Ryu and Nina (main hero and heroine respectively) to put in s little shrine with versions of the games I am collecting.

1 Like

Gotta be the Borderlands franchise for me. Presently vibing on Wonderlands; none of the games is perfect, not by a long shot… but there’s something about the game’s story and gameplay that’s just always hit right with me and I keep coming back for more.

2 Likes