Vinyl (as in music records)

Bruh.

Nice collection.

My mom passed of cancer a few years back. She was a teenager in the 60’s and went through the 70’s and 80’s collecting music. Her vinyl collection is something else man. Won’t ever bring my self to sell it or give it away.

Off memory I’ve got some Beatles, The Association, David Bowie, Frank Sinatra, Sound of Music OST, Gordon Lightfoot, Neil Young, Elvis, Blue Oyster Cult, Bad Company, Elton John

I need a player!

5 Likes

Sorry to hear about your mom passing @Optional, but we would love to see her collection and hear about any memories you have.

3 Likes

That is never easy. Very sorry to hear. I like to believe that the person lives on their their impact in those around them. I’m hoping you can find comfort in knowing how she influenced your life.

If you want, share some pictures and we can celebrate her with you here.

4 Likes

Oh I am so glad this thread started! :musical_note: My partner and I have, like millions, gained our parent’s collections of records from 60s, 70, and 80s (some pretty great ones in there) and have now started buying newer ones as well. We’ve been seeking out the special vinyl releases where it’s a colored vinyl of some sorts. and totally enjoyed RSD this year though we missed out on the Foo :sob: by ten minuets.

5 Likes

The color vinyls are so fun. We have grabbed a couple. I’ll try to post some in the next couple days

2 Likes

I too have recently went down the vinyl rabbit hole, so I picked up an Audio Technica AT-LP120XBT-USB and a few records. Actually I was at a vinyl shop in Indianapolis and the guy who owned it was so enthusiastic about music that I just bought the vinyl’s first, then I left the store that day and was like “welp, guess it’s time to buy a record player”. I’m no audiophile though, so for now I’m just using Bluetooth to connect to our speaker bar, I know this blasphemy to a lot of folks, but I like to think of high end audio equipment like I do expensive wine - and that’s if you swapped a lot of it out for a cheaper/mid-range version most people can’t really tell the difference anyway.

There were my first 2 albums:

Looking back now I realize it’s a shame my mom’s collection from the 70’s and 80’s was lost due to water damage but I’ve still managed to dig up some good finds at local shops and I’ve begun trolling through my bandcamp favorites to find more obscure ones I want.

The thing I like about vinyl the most, other than the aesthetic and the novelty of placing the needle on the record is that I feel like it’s the way the artist intended you to hear their music. In order, one song at a time, no easy skips. You’ve gotta just soak it in, for better or worse. Plus, I love album art so there’s a lot more square inches of art goin’ on in vinyl land.

4 Likes

I love the artwork that are on all these vinyls everyone has :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Hell Yeah Amon Amarth, Lamb of God, RatM, and KSE. Exquisite taste!

3 Likes

You guys are going to cost me so much money…

Luckily it will be a while before I have a spot to setup a player haha. Gotta remodel the basement first

3 Likes

My wife knows that I want to start collecting again when we buy a house next year. Im starting to get too many hobbies and not enough money, lol.

5 Likes

Here’s my collection (this was taken about a year ago so I’ve added quite a few more since then). I’ve been collecting records for about 6 or 7 years now and have just under 200 records.

Here’s a link to my Discogs Collection if anyone wants to check it out!

I’m a HUGE fan of King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard. I’ve spent way more than I’d like to admit over lockdown buying their records. They’ve released over 20 albums in the last 10 years! Here are a few of my favourites, and one I had signed by the whole band after a gig earlier this year.

8 Likes

Awesome collection!

2 Likes

That is incredible. I love that vinyl is it’s own piece of art. Very jealous over here.

4 Likes

@Deezy this is a really stylish set up and I am so jealous. I gotta ask though, whats your favorite album in the group? Collectors always have the one thing in the set that they are proud of having found, and I always enjoy hearing the “well I was at a garage sale…” stories that come with it.

4 Likes

These albums look awesome! Adding King Glizzard to my Spotify list of bands to check out :lizard:

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words @Pseudo,@LiquidMaverick,@8-Bit_Bootcamp,@Millions :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

My all-time favourite album would definitely be Blonde by Frank Ocean. I was lucky enough to pick this up on Black Friday a few years ago when he released it for the one and only time on vinyl. Nowadays it’s one of the most, if not THE most sought after records in the hip hop vinyl community, with sealed copies selling for upwards of $1000. :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: The white version is just a cheap bootleg I picked up while in Japan because I liked the original artwork.

5 Likes

That is

1 Like

Here is my current collection
I am on Discogs as well, if anyone wants to follow me :blush:

3 Likes

Here is a pic of my setup:

Pro-Ject X1
Ortofon 2M Blue
Pro-Ject Tube Box S2 (Rolled tubes to Genalex Gold Lions)
Kanto TUKs
SVS SB 2000 Pro

The streaming box is an Arylic S50 Pro. That is run off-screen to an Drop/GRACE DAC running balanced via XLRs to xDuoo TA20 (Rolled tubes to Genalex Gold Lions). That is my headphone listening setup.

4 Likes

I guess I could be your parents, lol. I have everyone of the albums you have displayed, hahaha, and lots more from the same time period (mid 60’s to mid 70’s, when rock truly rolled and music had meaning).

A major difference between listening to a LP record and Spotify, or whatever—i.e., the way music is generally acquired and listened to currently—is that artists of the mid 60s and mid 70s produced albums to be a listening experience, with songs consciously arranged in specific order to take the listener on a journey from track to track. Few recording artists (or their producers) concern themselves too much with this anymore, as music is marketed and sold more as a entertainment commodity then an listening event. I remember well putting a record on the turntable, turned up loud, turning out all the lights, and lying on the floor in the dark, alone and with friends…just experiencing the album! Are you experienced?

My how things have changed.

And let’s not forget the artwork! Sorry, but the little booklets included with CDs (if they even have one) just don’t cut it. There was nothing like purchasing an LP that included the large cover art, liner notes and sometimes even posters. It was a magical thing back then. You guys brought up a lot of memories for me with this thread. :v: :sunglasses:

2 Likes