Vinyl (as in music records)

Hey everyone,

To avoid overtaking a different thread, I thought I would create a conversation for vinyl records and record players. It became a pandemic hobby for me (same as mechanical keyboards). Shockingly, it brought more joy to both my wife and I than I could have anticipated.

Here is a sample of my humble collection.

4 Likes

I have never seen a vinyl before! I think they are before my time but also I mostly listen to rap idk if they make rap vinyls. Are vinyls making a comeback?

3 Likes

Glad you made a thread for this, we were starting to kind of take the Christmas one over. I saw a record player on DROP a ways back that I almost bought. Looked so nice and would have given me an excuse to collect some of my favorite albums again. Then I got into keyboards and POOF goes the moneys.

4 Likes

Since about 2011 vinyl sales have been on the rise. I can tell you why it interests me: with all the music I could ever want available all the time, it can desensitize my listening make it more background music. But with a record, each time I want to listen to something I have to make a choice. I have to pull out a record and carefully put it on the player. I know when the side ends and I have to flip it. I listen more and appreciate each song. Otherwise the big Spotify algorithm feeds me things it will think I like and I don’t have to think at all.

And they do make rap vinyl too. It’s a fun hobby. It can get expensive, but hey, we are chatting in a mechanical keyboard (for the most part) forum.

4 Likes

I’m sure that drop player was sweet. I’m tempted to upgrade ours, but it works fine so I won’t mess with it.

4 Likes

I want one of the Audio-Technica players, once I have a listening space setup

3 Likes

Oh yeah, it was really nice looking. A touch out of my price range at the moment, but it would be a nice pick up one day. The one I looked at was the Audio Technica Carbon VTA Turntable.

4 Likes

I support any hobby but for me I wouldnt have the patience to sit and listen to just 1 person without having to go through all that work to skip a song or change the vinyl. I just throw on spotify and if i dont like a song i just skip it. Speaking of spotify glorious should make a playlist with music from the what songs are you listening to post i love listening to new things. Stupid question but can you skip a song on a vinyl or do you have to go through the whole thing, asking for a freind :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Not a stupid question! You basically have to move where the needle is on the vinyl in order to change tracks.

There are albums out there that tell a story from start to finish, or that flow really well together so they listen really well from start to finish.

I could also see myself picking up a book, and just vibing out for an hour or two while listening to an album.

3 Likes

So is it just luck to skip songs at the right time or are there certain spots that will always play certain songs or do most people just let it play. Im the type of person that changes the radio station and tv channel 20 times before i find something I can commit too :joy:

3 Likes

The records have wide parts in the grooves that are essentially the gaps between the songs. So you would have to look at the album cover, see what number the song you want to listen to is, and then place the needle on the arm on the correct groove.

The thicker sections in the picture are the breaks between the songs. Heaven forbid a family member asked you to start a specific song and you put the needle down in the wrong spot.

5 Likes

Ahhh makes sense! Thanks for the picture I actually appreciate that i’m more of a visual person!

5 Likes

Im the same way. I can spend an hour reading how to do something and still not understand, but I can pick it up in less than 10 minutes if you show me one time.

4 Likes

That is the difference. You find an album that, as @Pseudo mentioned, tell a story. The point is to be a witness to that story. But it is something you have to want.

Nothing wrong with jumping around.

5 Likes

Makes sense!

3 Likes

Late to the party but as promised, here’s my slowly growing collection. Very basic Audio Technica LP60 as the player because I’m trying to find some sort of retro built in record cabinet/player for the endgame set up.

I think I mentioned I inherited a large chunk of my collection from my parents, which accounts for all the 60s-70s records that make up my favorites in the collection. Today’s more modern selection of choice is Elliott Smith’s either/or.

Love seeing Purity Ring in your collection @LiquidMaverick

9 Likes

That collection looks quite nice. Is that an original pressing of Abbey Road? Might want to frame it. I’m sure it’s worth a pretty penny.

And nice to see another Purity Ring enjoyer. It’s not well known but a very chill atmospheric sound.

4 Likes

I have discovered with the type of music I enjoy that they don’t generally do multiple pressings. If I see an artist release something I like, I have to buy it quick. Once that first stock is gone, that’s it. There is one album specifically that I missed the boat on. I don’t know if they will ever re-press it. It is some of the best chill atmospheric music I have heard.

For those interested, it’s call “Everyday” by the artist “Tourist”. I have been listening to this album since it came out and it just never gets old for me.

4 Likes

Do you guys listen through headphones, or speakers?

3 Likes

I tend to use my Klipsch bookshelf speakers, mostly because it’s not close enough to me to use headphones.

4 Likes