Show off your Non GMMK PRO Builds

Woke up in the middle of the night tonight/last night and could not go back to sleep so I decided to swap the GMK Civilization Keycaps on the Zoom TKL with the NicePBT SoyaMilk Keycaps. I still need to swap the Gold Backplate with the Navy Backplate to match the Keycaps a bit more but I am going to wait and do that in the morning.

Once I do that, I will take a few pictures of it and post them here along with the pictures of it with the GMK Civilization Keycaps and have you guys maybe vote on what one you like more, The Zoom TKL w/ NicePBT SoyaMilk & Navy Backplate or The Zoom TKL w/ GMK Civilization & Gold Backplate

I would do it right now but it is still dark out and I am finally getting tired again, so I think I am going to try and go back to sleep for a little bit but I will for sure post pictures tomorrow afternoon of both set ups and see what you guys think :grin:

2 Likes

Hopefully by the time you are reading this that you got some good sleep. Looking forward to seeing the final product!

1 Like

Getting ready to swap the Backplate here in just a little bit and I will post the poll soon after :slight_smile:

Just got to eat some breakfast first

Well shoot I have to do a little running around but once I am done I will get the backplate swapped and posted here.

Sorry for the delay folks

1 Like

What Zoom TKL Keycap and Backplate Config do you like most?

0 voters

One of the screws on the small portion of the Navy Backplate that goes by the USB port wouldn’t screw in, it seems like the hole on the backplate is stripped but it does not seem to be effecting it at all and it is staying in place so I am not to worried about it

Also, I did have the Gold Arrow Cluster and Enter Key on it with the GMK Civilization set but I did not take a picture of that before I swapped the NicePBT SoyaMilk Keycaps on it so I am a little bummed I don’t have a picture of it with those on there as well for the vote but it’s alright

Edit:

Thanks for the votes. Think I’m gonna keep the Navy Backplate on for now

6 Likes

Those both look great! I had a hard time choosing, but that blue really pops.

1 Like

I finally finished my Alish40 today. I ended up hand wiring the LEDs separately, and it was a giant PITA. Most challenging solder job to date, but by the end I got the hang of it. Here’s a post-solder photo of the PCB. Probably some real ugly joints on those LEDs!

Here’s the finished product.

Finally, I’d taken those keysterine keycaps off my Mercutio, so I threw Maxkey Berserk on it.

8 Likes

It looks great!! Does the Rotary Encoder/Knob get in the way at all when you are typing or is it level with the Spacebar?

1 Like

It would probably get in the way. This is really just a solder project for me, so I likely won’t actually find out, haha

1 Like

Nice boards! This is the second Mercutio I’ve seen and honestly it might be the first 40 I pick up. I love how it looks.

2 Likes

My Ion Zenith has been completed!

• Moss Ion Zenith with brass plate
  • Staebies
  • Nolive Cream switches soldered in
  • GMK Zooted with artisans

10 Likes

This is TOO clean! love the theme too :wink: :evergreen_tree: :deciduous_tree:
Bravo!

2 Likes

Looks great. I love the GMK Zooted Keycaps and Artisans

1 Like

Ended up snagging a Steel Series Apex Pro Mini. The switches are soldered onto the PCB so opening this bad boy up to make mods to it will be interesting. They sound like the Glorious Foxes but are heavier because of the spring/magnets in the omnipoint2.0s. So far I have lubed the heck out of the stabs and that has taken the tone and rattling down enough to be acceptable for a plastic body. I may try opening it up but I have it set to 0.2 for actuation across the board except for the windows key.
I snagged the Astronaut2.0 keycap set and it’s nice seeing our old friend Pluto again :slight_smile:

Since this board doesn’t have something like Rapid Trigger that the wooting has, I resorted to adding a few 40soft O rings to the key I use for editing in fortnite to reduce the travel of the key to about 0.5 actuation and my edits are now god tier. I will need to upgrade my finger at some point I am sure :thinking:

8 Likes

Fortnite montage incoming :eyes:

2 Likes

Challenge accepted though it may just be some creative clips but I will pair this insanely fast keyboard with literally the ONLY mouse (out of 15 I own) that can keep up: Series One Pro (set to 0ms debounce AND WIRED) :wink:

2 Likes

I picked up a MonsGeek M2 to build for my mom, she uses a crappy Logitech membrane board at work and her wedding anniversary is coming up soon so I thought why not get her a nice keyboard. Built with some extra Milky Yellow Pro switches that I had on hand, and a NK DSA Milkshake keycap set that I haven’t been using for a while.

5 Likes

Here is my Voice Mini

Voice Mini
Gateron Oil Kings Switches
NK Cherry SpellBook Keycaps

10 Likes

Didnt know something like that existed. :joy:

1 Like

Finally got some pics of my Bolsalice! I’m not sure I’ve introduced this board to you all yet, but I picked it up earlier this year from r/mechmarket and sent it to Alexotos to be desoldered and rebuilt because the seller did a pretty bad job with the switches. This is my first keyboard with an alice/arisu layout and it’s actually quite nice. I discovered the Bolsalice because it has the one thing that I wanted if I were to get a board of this layout: two B keys. I usually use my right hand for B, so this was an essential part of my search

According to the seller, this is one unit from the final prototypes before the board entered production to fulfill GB orders, so it’s missing the status LEDs and might have a slightly lower finish quality on the case and weight, but I think it’s an amazing keyboard and I couldn’t be happier with it.

It’s built with dk Saru tactile switches from Divinikey, which have been discontinued, and as a linear lover I can safely say that these are really nice tactiles. They’re comfortable to type on and sound and feel great. Keycap choice is Drop DCX Jasmine to compliment the beautiful anodized green case.

My phone seemed to have a hard time with the intense green of the case, but here’s some pics! Like pictures anything else, it looks better in person lol

8 Likes

Most proper Alice layouts should have the alternate spot for the second “b” key. All the ones I have do have the extra spot on the right side for it or whatever other key you want to put there.