Show off your Non GMMK PRO Builds

I’m not anywhere near in as deep as most people here when it comes to keyboard builds. Haven’t done anything with stabilizers or lubing yet. But my daily driver is a HyperX Alloy Elite 2 with the HyperX Red switches that i’m quite fond of.

I did change out the main keyboard with lavender HK gaming pudding caps and put o-rings on everything. The HyperX switches have a unique LED placement that doesn’t allow a lot of resin keys or certain keycaps to fit on them. It’s also part of why they’re so very, very bright.
I actually had to shave away a fair bit of resin from underneath that koi keycap to get it to fit without touching the LED when pressed down.

I did quite a bit more customization on my the two GMMKs that are now property of my wife.

7 Likes

So there’s this funny sale on Amazon a few days ago where you can get an Outemu Blue switch 60% mechanical keyboard for $15
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09BKW8ZN7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I picked it up.

Did a couple keycap changes with keys that I mostly just had laying around. Also installed some O-Rings which made the extremely loud clickity-clack of the Outemu Blues MUCH quieter. It’s apparently actually hot swappable with other outemu switches, so I think i’m gonna use this to play around with stuff like lubing, stabilizers, switch swapping etc. at $15 I don’t mind if I mess it up.

However it also VERY quickly made me realize that there’s no way in hell that I could use a 60% as my daily driver, 65% would be the lowest I could go, the function keys needed for arrow keys was way too inconvenient for me - and even with arrow keys turned on permanently thanks to a function key shortcut, now I need to use a function key to use the “?” symbol.

Still, better than the laptop keyboard if I want to play minecraft and its small enough to fit in my laptop bag, which is pretty nice.

5 Likes

you are a mad man for repairing that! lol good job!

2 Likes

I just finished building my TM680. I used lubed Salmon tactile switches, lubed stock stabs, stock PCB board, milk keycap set, and added foam at bottom of the board.

I’m waiting for another TM680 to arrive, but haven’t decided if I want to stick with tactile or give it linear switches.

14 Likes

:heart_eyes: this is awesome!!!

2 Likes

What are you thoughts on the TM680? Like it? I saw it a while back and have been toying around with the idea buying one for another budget board.

1 Like

For a $99 board, love it! Though I’m not sure if others would like how loud it is. It’s much louder than the GMMK pro. Even though I added foam, it helped a bit but still significantly producing a louder thocc because of the plastic hollow body. Also the RGB has a milky diffusion, a plus for me.

3 Likes

Nice. Thanks for thoughts. And almost forgot to mention, love your build. Super clean. The matching salmon tactiles are the perfect touch.

3 Likes

@shyhestu low key a :fire: build

2 Likes

My latest build
KBD67 MKII
Banana Split Switches
Brass Plate
Durock V2 stabs

8 Likes

Love it!! How do you like the stabs over the stock ones?

1 Like

It actually didn’t come with any just came with the case the pcb and the plate. Never had any issues with durock stabs tho usually my go to unless I want colored ones.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I hate the stock stabs that come with the KBDFans DIY kits. I usually swap them with Durock unless the person who bought everything didn’t buy replacement stabs (which is how I learned I hate them and will never use them in any builds I do for myself + always recommend people I do build for that go with KBDFans kits to order replacement stabs too).

2 Likes

I remember reading something about they changed something about them recently

I have the first run KBD67v2 MKII that released late 2019 or so. I paid to have them preassemble it, but don’t feel I’ve ever had problems with the stabs. But I hear people mention Durock a lot, so maybe I should check them out! Where do you order yours?

1 Like

I think most companies that sell stabs have durock v2 now. Even Amazon with free 2 day shipping :yum:

1 Like

I love Amazon.

Amazon, generally. But any of the normal go-to keyboard supply websites will usually have them or restock them fairly quickly.

2 Likes

KBD67 Lite
Pom plate
Tangerine switches
C3 Equalz X TKC stabilizers
EPBT Miami Nights keycapst
First time using a Pom plate I love it…also used the kbdfans stabilizer foam thought it would feel mushy but they feel nice.

8 Likes

I love this :heart_eyes:

2 Likes