Show off your Non GMMK PRO Builds

Alright, it has been some time coming, but here is my latest non-GMMK Pro build. This is the new Keychron Q8 with the Glorious Pink Grapefruit keycaps. Really like these caps, though I think I could maybe have gone for making it a more gradual transition so there was more of that orangey color in the middle. Spacebars are just the stock ones, sadly there aren’t small spacebars in the Glorious sets. Would also have liked a second 1U fn key and a second B key and maybe a specific Windows key instead of “code,” but oh well.

12 Likes

Sweet! Looks great, nice job. Very clean :smile:

First time really posting here, but I figure that the gang would appreciate this build!

Nearfield prototype cerakoted it’s a boy blue + EPBT Acid house + a 16 set custom commission of pink prisms from jankycaps

11 Likes

holy-shit-whats-happening

Glorious!

3 Likes

Whoaaa :star_struck: :star_struck:

1 Like

How are you liking the Q8? I just got mine in the mail today.

2 Likes

It has taken some messing with to get it sounding decent, but I think that’s kinda how it is with a board like that. Coming from the GMMK Pro, which kinda makes every switch sound similar, the differences between switches and different mods is huge on the Q8. For now, FR4 plate with PE foam and Aqua Kings is my favorite combo, but I was really hoping to switch to tactiles. More research needed there, I guess.

4 Likes

Here’s my DURGOD VENUS.

And here is how I made it better with a simple tip: Lubing DURGOD VENUS Gat Yellow with Krytox 205 - YouTube

7 Likes

Good to know! I’m putting some Drop holy panda X so hopefully I get some decent sound. I did order their FR4 so will look to find foam or sound dampening. Hopefully this one is not like their Q1 as that one sounded hollow and gave out a ping. Once I added a slab of sound dampening mat it helped a lot. Thanks again for your take on this!

1 Like

@MannyM15 I have the Q1 Version 2 where they addressed the case ping with their own built in force-break mod. I still went through and added my own gaskets and ended up throwing some silicone in the bottom, 3 layers of tape, and the FR4 board. I also lubed and filmed the DROP Holy Panda X’s and put them on there.
Sounds great to me, and with a nice set of PBT caps, and the tactile bump isn’t bad.

It’s the board I use as my daily driver.

2 Likes

They have the “force break” dampeners in there, but I still added more because it didn’t seem to work well enough. I don’t have any dampening foam in there currently, though maybe I will try it again at some point.

1 Like

Oh nice! Glad they fixed it on the V2. I jumped on their first version and man did that thing ping lol. Will have to play around with the version i have and try the tape mod. I’m def stealing your idea of film on the Drop Panda X’s. Didn’t even think about filming them.

1 Like

Keep us posted how the Q8 mods go. Once I’m done building it, will report on how it sounds with the dampening foam. I’ll be switching out the stabs to the Owlstabs as I didn’t care for the stabs that were in the Q1 and these look the same.

I love this it looks great @noodohs. I want to get an Alice style board real bad and I really like the Keychron K8. Another Alice board I really would like to build is the Corne v3

@meatsmoothies That Alice board is looking amazing as well

@chris_december Love all the Artisan Keycaps, your Durgod is very nice looking

I’ve been updating my post over on Reddit, so that’s probably the easiest way to keep up without clogging this thread.

1 Like

Sweet, I’ll follow you on there! Thanks!

Thanks Dozill. Prior to that I’d owned a Razer Huntsman, and Huntsman Mini but sold both (unreliable junk). There also wasn’t much you could do to make the Mini sound better. I then bought the Venus, and that’s where my modding journey began. It’s okay at best. The next came my POPCORN GMMK PRO. I’ll be building another super clean white and gold GMMK PRO next month for my girl. I’m really excited for my Lava Rama U80-B next year. Many tout it as their endgame. Let’s see if it’ll be mine. I want to experience this premium-ness people have been talking about.

2 Likes

Got a new polished copper ESC keycap in for my Zoom65. Just waiting on the weight, knob, and cable and this build will be done!

11 Likes

That looks AWESOME.

4 Likes

Love that board @d3L7r0n! :heart_eyes: just absolutely 11/10

2 Likes