Show off your Non GMMK PRO Builds

Soundtest?

I tried to record something via my phone, but it doesn’t do it justice. There are other video on YouTube with sound tests though. I will try to see if I can contort my streaming setup to snag something.

[Cut to a scene in the future where I have WAAAY too much audio & video equipment just to film clacky rectangles and screaming “DAMN YOU @SwaggyAlpaca !!!”]

3 Likes

That is a great looking build! Congrats on a job well done.

I’ll say, at least for me, the joy of being able to type on a custom board never really goes away. Every time I get a chance to write out something it brings me great joy.

5 Likes

Same here, I go out of my way to get on my computer if there is something I could be typing out on my keyboard rather than just doing it on my phone just because of the joy it brings me to type on my custom keyboard

6 Likes

Lol, no pressure. Appreciate the effort!

1 Like

:eyes: and I thought my build looked clean

1 Like

Finally, I can contribute to this. :slightly_smiling_face:

Build:

• Ikki Aurora R1 Charocal
  • IFK Monochrome PBT Cherry keycaps
  • UHMWPE Cow Linear Switches lubed with 205g0 on stem and bottom housing and 105 on springs
  • TX Stabalizers lubed lightly with 2050g0
  • PE Foam Modded & kept all sillocone components in the board
  • 3 layer of tape mod under PCB

11 Likes

Love this…those keycaps are :fire:

3 Likes

When doing the tape mod, did you put on one layer at a time and test the sound? Or all three at once? How does each successive layer affect the sound?

@hmmm That is a beautiful looking keyboard and the keycaps are just awesome. Very nice build

Yeah great question, I would also love to know the answer

Normally I just stick to 3 layers and put the board together because I think it’s a good middle ground. I think it’s definitely about preference too but yea I see people would recommend at least 2-5 layers. Definitely don’t overwhelm your board where you can’t close screw it back together

3 Likes

Thank you, I am so glad they turned out well considering how notorious IFK keycaps are known for. Some of their Group Buy keycap sets are misleading than the actual renders and were known to have a very sandy texture but luckily, these are in-stock keycaps and they don’t feel super sandy so I think IFK in stocks are not misleading

2 Likes

Nice looking build! I’ve never seen that layout before, looks pretty sick Imo.

Just realized what your profile pic was. I love it! I don’t have the game but have watched too many hours of let’s plays.

1 Like

I think you forgot to hit reply directly to my comment :sweat_smile: since I was not notified for your comment but I am guessing you were replying to mine.

Yea Stray is a really neat game! Sadly it’s only about 5 hours but lots of details!

Decided to go with the Drop Holy Panda X’s on the Keychron Q1. Also, swapped out to the knock-off GMK Taro set I just picked up. I have to say, I am pretty impressed.
Also swapped out the rear with a 1mm silicone mat, and added a few more gaskets.
The Glorious Nebula cable is almost a perfect match. Really love the look as well as the sound.
Next step is an FR4 plate that is hung up in the mail in Chicago…

6 Likes

Oops! Yes, I believe I did. My bad!

My IFK keycaps were stuck in Chicago for over 2 weeks. I only live 8 hours away by car from Chicago too. Not sure what USPS was doing but yea I do live in Canada too so maybe that plays a factor but it did sat in Chicago facility for a whole 2 weeks :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

LOVE the keycaps. Very sleek build too.

3 Likes

The purple, yellow, and black mix Keycaps I am liking a lot especially with the cable. Brings it all together, very nice

2 Likes

This board looks GREAT! Love the Ikki, and that keycap set goes PERFECTLY! :ok_hand::ok_hand::heart_eyes:

1 Like