What games did you grow up on/feel nostalgic about?

2 Likes

Atari Pitfall (family game nights as a boy)
Atari Bowling (family game nights as a boy)
Tecmo Bowl
Super Tecmo Bowl
Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare
Call of Duty Black Ops
Call of Duty Black Ops 2

2 Likes

Modern warfareā€¦ the amount of people I upset by placing claymores in FFA. Also, the TAR21 was the best gun in the game. It had enough spray radius that I just had to get close. That with stopping power meant a really fast TTK.

Hopefully Iā€™m not confusing this with MW2ā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure it was mw2ā€¦I miss that game :pensive:

1 Like

I would have to say

Donkey Kong (Atari)
Super Mario Brothers (Nes)
Robocop (Nes)
Super Mario All Stars (Snes)
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (Snes)
Star Ocean Second Story (PSone)
Final Fantasy 7 Original (PSone)

2 Likes

I replay Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6, Yoshiā€™s Island, Megaman X and various other SNES titles once every few years. I used to speedrun Super Metroid (and multiple other metroid titles) so I revisit those every couple of years. When it comes to PC Iā€™ve pretty much never uninstalled Heroes of Might and Magic III and Iā€™ve spent literally thousands of hours on Diablo II.

I grew up on Quake and early Unreal Tournament, to the point that most modern FPS feel slow to me. You spend 2+ years doing UT2004 instagib an then try to move into the modern meta, fuck that.

I still have a functional SNES, Genesis, and PS2 hooked up to a TV through some not insignificantly priced cables so I can play them on the quasi regular. Good games donā€™t age.

Still, says an awful lot about me that my list of ā€œfavorite games of all timeā€ are mostly from the the SNES through PS2 era. Someday I wish something would come along and knock one of them down a peg, but it hasnā€™t happened yet.

Before Metroid Dread came out, I played through (and livestreamed! On my twitch channel with like 10 followers) every single 2D metroid over the course of 2ish weeks. I used to speedrun most of them so a lot of them were single sitting finishes. I really enjoyed that.

5 Likes

Anarchy Online, a super old school sci-fi futuristic MMORPG! Their twinking system was insane, more granular and customizable than any other MMORPG out there.

2 Likes

Wait, is that where your profile pic is from?

Yeah it is, haha. In-game NPC! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I have been wracking my brain on why I recognized that character.

Tekken!

2 Likes

Yes! I will say I spent a sizable amount of time in the practice areas trying to figure out the perfect juggle for maximum damage. Also, I was able to pull off all but one of kingā€™s combo grapples. I would annoy many people at the arcade.

1 Like

You stop it sir. Iā€™m still maining King in Tekken 7. Just did an arcade stick(hitbox) review with some King gameplay in it.:grin:. Sorry, I get all geeked when I discover fighting game peeps.

2 Likes

I fear us turning this into a tekken thread.

Fighting games are a distant memory. The unfortunate truth is I canā€™t, more accurately shouldnā€™t, stay up all night and practice juggles, countering timings, and grapples. I do so miss the days. Paul Phoenix was a big crowd pleaser (opponent dis-pleaser). Had some stints with Brian Fury as well. But itā€™s been a long time since Iā€™ve played though. I still have the muscle memory for king grapples.

2 Likes

I havenā€™t played a Tekken game since Tekken Tag Tournament. I got that and the PS2 at launch and hardly played any other game until the next Christmas lol.

1 Like

What is this tekken game everyone is talking about

1 Like

Here is a sample fight against two characters that I never mastered and always hated fighting. Sounds like @TechwithCraw might have some vids to share that I would love to see.

1 Like

Yeah, anything Valve made (and does make, really) played a huge part in my childhood. I remember spending a lot of time with those games when I was young.

One of my very first online handles was stolen from one of the artists on Half-Life 2. :rofl:

Another big one for me was Quake III: Arena. I have that game to thank for my obsession with gaming mice, as there was a player in that game I greatly admired who turned me onto the Razer Boomslang.

3 Likes

When I think of gaming nostalgia, it has to be Super Contra on NES for me. That was one my favorite games when I was little and can still play the first few levels practically with my eyes closed. Lol.

A few others that make me feel nostalgic:

• Super Mario Bros 3 (NES) - a staple for pretty much everyone
  • Resident Evil 2 (PS1) - one of the first scary games I ever played. To this day I remember the first time you encounter a ā€œlickerā€, and feeling terrified at that moment. Ended up beating both A and B sides more times than I can count.
  • Roger Clemens Baseball (SEGA)- my uncle had this growing up and I remember playing the crap out of this on family vacations with my brother
  • Battletoads (SEGA) - I remember a childhood friend of mine loved this game for some reason. We used to have sleep overs and would take turns trying to beat this game until we got yelled at to go to bed
  • Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (SEGA) - a friend and I used to try and memorize as many combos and finishing moves as possible. I remember printing out the guide for all of these on a dot matrix printer with the edges with holes that you had to tear off.
3 Likes

Man, freakin Battletoads. That jetski level ate some quarters in the arcade.

5 Likes