USB keeps failing on GMMK Pro

out of nowhere my GMMK pro with the white coiled cable keeps failing when connected to any of my mobo usb slots. i haven’t had an issue previously but all of a sudden im now getting a failure notification. i have the latest MSi Bios. Glorious core isn’t (obviously recognizing the keeb either). i will only recognize it on complete restart but shortly after it fails again. any idea whats going on?

3 Likes

Have you tried a different cable? Is the disconnect properly and fully connected? Other option would be checking to see if you can update the GMMK Pro firmware, or reflash it.

3 Likes

its still early, but i tried the original cable that came in the box, not the coiled glorious cable that i bought separate, it responded. i re-flashed the firmware and it seems to be working and core is recognizing it. fingers crossed that its eyes just got crossed out of nowhere.

3 Likes

as soon as i hit reply it stopped working. im pretty convinced its the coiled cable. the stock cable works fin, however when i plug in the coiled cable it stops working within a few min.

4 Likes

Glorious Corgi coming in clutch. Corgi recommended that “Some customers were also able to resolve similar issues by deleting the “USB eXtensible Host Controller” from the device manager then restarting their computer.”

As of now since last night i haven’t had any issues.

5 Likes

Excellent! Kind of curious that it only affected the coiled cord, and not the other one you were trying, but this is also good info to know if anyone has a similar issue in the future.

3 Likes

It appears that it did affect only the coiled cable for who knows what reason.

2 Likes

Only thing I can think of is that the coiled cable is actually much longer than it appears because of the coils, so that can add resistance and have more potential for errors. You’ve also got a connector on the cable and that’s another point of failure.

2 Likes

I experienced something similar with a coiled cable that was included with my Ikki68 keyboard. Plugged in the cable and right away windows threw up a “one of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned” error. At first I thought the keyboard was broken, but I tested it with known working keyboards I had on hand and those also showed the error so figured the cable was bad. Sure enough, if I plugged in the cable on its own with no device attached, it still threw up that error.

I’ve made my own USB-A to USB-C cables before so I decided to see if maybe I could fix it. Only really three failure points on these types of cables if you think about it. Either the wiring, or one of the two connectors. Chopped off both connectors on the bad cable and tested the wiring with my multimeter in continuity mode. All 4 wires passed and had continuity so it was obviously one of the connectors that was bad. I opened up the USB-A connector and the soldering looked fine to me. Even had the drain wire setup correctly.

Haven’t opened up the USB-C connector yet, but that’s my guess as to the failure point on that cable. The Data+ and Data- soldering joints on those USB 2.0 type-C connectors are extremely small and very close together. I imagine maybe it was just bad soldering and the two points got bridged somehow.

I re-soldered on some new A and C connectors, and now that previously bad cable works perfectly.

4 Likes