Polycarbonate plate on GMMk Pro

Hi,
I am curious if anyone else has the poly plate, did it seriously warp your pcb? It made my board a banana shape (not as sharp of an angle but very noticeable). Not sure if it is safe to run it like this. I am also wondering if this fitment is caused by me using durock v2 stabs, or if I maybe purchased a defective plate.

1 Like

I also had that issue even with the GOAT stabs. When I compared the PC plate to the aluminum plate, I could see that the PC plate was like 1-2 mm narrower (from left to right) than the aluminum plate, so this not only caused the stab holes to not line up but when everything was screwed in, it warped the PCB. In my case, I believe that was also responsible for my spacebar sticking a bit as the stab housings were not parallel to each other. I contacted Glorious about it and they offered a refund or a replacement, so I’d recommend trying that. They’ll want picture evidence, though, so don’t swap back to your aluminum plate just yet :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you for the info. I guess I will take pictures when I get home from work and go to support and see if they can get me a better replacement. Fingers crossed. The only upside of all this is that my key caps have not arrived yet so I haven’t been able to enjoy the board yet.

1 Like

I noticed a pretty severe bend in my PCB after the poly plate was installed as well. I thought this was causing my space bar to stick, but the problem persisted with the aluminum backplate too. Once I switched to the Durock V2s, my space bar problems went away. I’ve been too lazy to pull my entire board back apart to reinstall the poly backplate again.

1 Like

i dont believe my board warped when i put the poly plate on mine. hmmm now i want to swap back to it to see lol

2 Likes

It was extremely noticeable. Atleast in my case, it is really bad. It was difficult just trying to screw everything in. If you didn’t have those troubles your plate is probably fine I would guess.

1 Like

thats kinda of what i am thinking! i wonder if they have a bad batch of poly plates out there?

2 Likes

I have the pc plate and didn’t have any issues. Used the C3 x Equalz stabs and they fit great.

2 Likes

With the feedback here I am hoping maybe I just got a bad plate and they can swap it for a proper one fingers crossed!

2 Likes

reach out to support about it! @millions might jump in here first and assist you though!

2 Likes

I reached out, they want me to try and reinstall the plate following their directions… I’m remaining optimistic but I don’t know that it will solve my issues.

3 Likes

I had the same issue with the plate feeling a bit tight and the V2 stabs were a little harder to put through. Went with the FR4 plate from AVX and when I took my board apart to make the switch it didn’t look warped.

1 Like

Was just about to share the installation guide link here. Let me know if helps the issue!

1 Like

Well I really tried, but the board is still flexing upwards on the outer most edges… should I just file the plate so the stabs fit with out using so much force? The plate flex is forcing the whole pcb to flex just because the stabs can hardly fit into the cut outs… :pensive:

2 Likes

I doubt that will help. Compare it to your aluminum plate and see if, like mine, your PC plate is actually smaller. Line up the holes for the side diffusers on one side and see if they line up on the other side (without any of the screws in). If not, the plate is too small and no amount of filing will fix it. If they do line up, then yeah, maybe just file the stab holes and see if that helps.

1 Like

When I did that it looked like the poly plate is like half a MM off or less from the aluminum plate, so pretty close. Maybe I just got thicker than normal stabilizers. They are installed flush with the pcb.

1 Like

That could be enough. I guess the question then is do the stabs fit through the holes on one side but not the other? If you shift it the other way, do those stabs now fit but the others don’t? If you take the stabs off and screw in the PC plate, does it still warp the PCB?

1 Like