PE Foam

Awesome! Still waiting on some deliveries before I get into it.

2 Likes

@MisoAndRice Finally finished the build, switch pads are pretty dope I have to say they might be an addition to every board kind of deal. It is a nice-sized dampener for bottoming out. Just a bit tedious to put on. If you were wondering about the stupid fish foam as well. It is ok. I got it to add some flex to the board but really it’s more of an acoustic thing. It sounds less hollow. I literally added the entire thing of extra gaskets that came with the GMMK Pro and it’s still stiff as a board.

4 Likes

@ice thanks for the feedback, much appreciated! Glad to hear they’re good. My green door geeks pe foam cutout is otw. I think it might be in the country, so I’ll get that this weekend hopefully. Then to put it all together.

Did you keep any of the original foam in the board? I see a lot of ppl remove all the foam from the GMMK Pro and put something light in the bottom.

I haven’t built mine yet, want to wait for my GDG delivery first. I’m thinking of removing all the foam first and see how that sounds with just the pe foam mod on the pcb and maybe the tape mod. After that maybe see what different sounds I can get putting something in the bottom.

2 Likes

No, I didn’t keep the original foam in the board it was only two pieces. If you remove it I assume you will get a more metallic sound I was debating removing it between my poly carb plate for flex. It sounds like a better idea if you have one of the metal switch plates. I’m going for an almost dead silent build, I saw some people putting silicone in the bottom of their board but it seemed like a bit of effort and messy.

2 Likes

Have you got it all setup how you want it? I wouldn’t mind hearing it in a typing test. What switches do you have in it?

I originally wanted a silent build but now I kinda want something still on the quiet side but with a bit of thock.

I think the only thing I’m not looking forward to is all the screws, in and out for trying slightly different sound configurations. Though I guess once I find the sound I like it’ll be worth it.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s pretty much ready to go. I don’t think I’ll open this board up for a while or if ever again. I rather build something new and milky sounding. I was going to mention teardown is kind of a pain because of all the screws(some might be overtightened if you haven’t tried to open it yet).

I originally did Gateron Silent Reds and Durock Dolphins. Reds felt a bit scratchy so now I switched to Dolphins and DayBreaks. I ran them without lube and film for a while and they aren’t terrible. Freshly lubed and filmed they make almost no noise, just little wet sounds. BTW Stock stabs are over-lubbed junk if you haven’t picked up the GSV2 swap them out and give them a light lube.

I’ll maybe drop a sound test on the Show Off your GMMK Pro Discussion Board I’m just waiting for an artisan key to ship.

3 Likes

Yeah I picked up some Gv2s, was expecting to be making everything this weekend but AfterShip is telling me my GreenDoorGeeks is being held in customs for some reason.

All my pieces have come in, hopefully I have some time this weekend to build my board.

2 Likes

I just ordered from them as well. I’ve always just used the pe foam that the gmmk pro came with lmao. Has the pe foam from green door made a difference in the sound?

2 Likes

I’m not sure about how the two foams compare to each other. As I started off with the GDG foam right off the bat. Mine is sounding really nice atm, I love it. You’ll have to let me know how much of a difference in the sound profiles.

1 Like

I have wondered about GDG, it’s good to know they are legit

1 Like

I initially had the same concern before I ordered. But I didn’t have any problems and their discord is pretty active if you have any quarries.

1 Like

I mean I have NK creams, brass plate, and no plate foam. I think it sounds really good. I’m mostly just waiting on the POM plate and the PE foam to come in.

1 Like

Anyone have real life comparison between PE foam and switch pads made from PE foam?

1 Like

I’ve tried it but no video the only real difference is that switch pads are a little less marbly and will have a bit more thock or clack depending on configuration I personally just run the switch pads

2 Likes

I think I will buy some to play around with this weekend.

1 Like

I put the switch pads on my GMMK2 and it changed the whole audio profile in the best way. While they are a bit of a pain to apply, I believe they will go on most/all my future builds.

3 Likes

I have a set, but wasn’t sure where to put them. GMMK 2 IT IS!

I’ll try to snag an audio sample and post it. It’s like butter.

@TechwithCraw Here is what this thing sounds like. Note: The mic is close to the board, but it’s a pretty accurate representation of what it sounds like.

6 Likes

Ohhh that sounds very nice

3 Likes

Very nice @LiquidMaverick :+1:

2 Likes