HELP! Stripped Screw

Hello, I am posting because I went to open up my GMMK Pro for the first time to swap out my aluminum plate for the polycarbonate plate. In the process of opening my board, the top right screw was so tight the it got stripped from trying to unscrew it and now I can’t get the case open. Does anyone have any advice or have you encountered this problem before

This happened to me as well. Not to say this is the preferred method if there’s something less aggressive out there, but I ended up using a side cutter and cutting the aluminum plate and then used pliers to remove the screw

1 Like

also not the perfered method, but probably a better option then @PickleNiiiiiiick suggested, ive done it with a laptop that had stripped screws…

Get a drill bit and drill out the screw head…will allow you to remove the plate as needed, then just use some plies to grab onto the remaining part of screw and unscrew it

otherwise, you can try and get a screw extraction kit… usually its a drill on one end, and a bite-ing bit on the other…

2 Likes

@digitalpanhandlr has the right idea from what I’ve googled from the in general case. I should have prefaced, I tried an extraction kit first and it did not work so I tried my extreme method.

1 Like

Hey there, very sorry to hear this happened. I have heard people say they’ve used a rubber band on top of the screw head in between the screw and their screwdriver or drill bit to help fill the stripped areas and get a problematic screw out. You should also shoot our customer service team a message as they might have some other helpful hacks they’ve learned or offer you another solution.

Let me know if you’re able to get the screw out or if you need any help with customer service!

2 Likes

Thank you to everyone who responded, I was able to get the screw out and add the new polycarbonate plate to my board. I ended up running into another problem though. Two of the included screws that you are supposed to use to secure the polycarbonate plate to the PCB literally snapped in half and are now stuck in the polycarbonate plate. I can’t secure those parts of the plat to the PCB now and they are stuck in the plate.

Oh wow, that’s rough. Definitely reach out to support and tell them what happened - they can get you new screws, suggest ways to take out the broken screws, and potentially provide additional/better solutions than just replacing the screws.

So sorry you’re having to deal with that!