GMMK Pro Double Keypress - Chattering?

hmmm, i cant say i have experienced this! i have everglide aqua kings in my pro board and its been nothing but amazing so far!

2 Likes

@raoulrod I have been having the same issue. Like you, its been random and I started replacing switches to see if it was the switches but still happens. Iā€™m using Gateron black ink v2.

I would shoot our support team a ticket, either through chat or email here (Product Guides) as they may have come across this issue before and be better able to troubleshoot it or replace your board if necessary.

Thanks for the update! Keep us posted if that seems like a solid fix, Iā€™m trying to increase my ability to troubleshoot these types of issues for you guys without sending you to support :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™ll give this a try. Right now its the ā€œPā€ and ā€œspacebarā€ that is coming out double. Thank you for this info!!

1 Like

I had this issue on my original GMMK Pro pretty badly. It was double pressing all the time. I submitted a video and got a replacement. The replacement has been alright but it will double press intermittently. Which is depressing in gaming, typing, or all around use. I havenā€™t submitted another ticket because I didnā€™t want to receive a non VIA chip replacement. However, now theyā€™ve said that there will be enough chips.

Iā€™ve been wondering if itā€™s the board as itā€™s quite a few characters but very intermittent. I keep hoping itā€™s actually just a firmware issue that affects everyone and will get addressed. Also wondering if itā€™s a gateron issue or just an inherent issue with hotswappable switches. Iā€™ve swapped out so many without improvement though.

1 Like

I noticed the same behavior on mine after updating to the latest FW a couple weeks ago. I changed the latency to the 8ms option (Fn+D+3) and it seemed to clear up. Previously had it set to 2ms. I donā€™t know if that was the actual solution though as I also did the full keyboard reset a couple times before changing the latency.

I also noticed my profile/layers were wonky after updating Glorious core sw as well. Kept reverting to the default key layout or seemed to be changing layers on its own. That too seemed to clear up eventually. Working fine for the past week or so now though.

2 Likes

This seems to help by switching to 8ms from 2ms. I havenā€™t seen a double keypress yet at 8ms. However, I donā€™t like the idea that the keyboard is struggling to operate at 2ms. When itā€™s supposed to work at that rate.

1 Like

Yeah I agree. If itā€™s advertised as working at a certain rate, it should work at that rate. Just seems like something a future firmware could address though. Before I updated my FW a couple weeks ago, the keyboard had been working perfectly since I got it earlier in the summer.

1 Like

The impression that I get from reading around on Reddit is that the latency setting also changes the debounce time, so yes, you are getting lower latency, but you are also more prone to double presses. IMO, these should really be separate settings. There is no reason for debounce to be tied to input latency as input latency is about the first press, not the subsequent erroneous ones. So youā€™ll probably need to have your latency set no lower than 8 ms for now if you want to avoid problems. Hopefully this changes in the future.

2 Likes

Right, you want to increase the latency to get rid of it. 8 ms is probably the minimum usable latency on the GMMK Pro right now, but you might even need to use 16 ms.

2 Likes

Maybe I should be more clear, then :stuck_out_tongue: Thereā€™s a polling rate setting where dropping it increases the latency to some extent (settings above 250 Hz wonā€™t have much appreciable difference, though), which sounds like what you are talking about, but thereā€™s also an input latency setting (measured in ms, not Hz) and you want to increase that setting to get rid of the double presses. That setting was added fairly recently. And it absolutely makes sense that pressing harder would trigger the double presses more easily. The harder you press, the more likely the switch contacts are to ā€œbounceā€ and trigger a second (or third or fourth) input. This is why Cherryā€™s minimum recommended spec is 5 ms of debounce time, so the input latency setting decreasing the debounce time below that isā€¦ unhelpful to say the least. This is why I say you shouldnā€™t be using an input latency setting of lower than 8 ms.

2 Likes

Aside from the heavy amount of lube issue, glad to hear the board is working well now. Let me know if it starts happening again and sorry for the trouble!

1 Like

The problem you are describing still has to do with debounce delay and I really feel like youā€™re not understanding what I am saying. 8ms may be equal to 125 Hz, but that is completely irrelevant. There are two settings in the Core app, one for polling rate and one for input latency. Polling rate is given in Hz and you can choose 125, 250, 500, or 1000. In my experience, 250 Hz and above are good, but 125 Hz is a bit low. Completely separate from that is an input latency setting, give in ms, and you can choose 2, 8, or 16. This setting affects not just the input latency but also, unfortunately, the debounce delay. If you set this to 2 ms, you will get double inputs regardless of your polling rate. If you set it to 8 ms, you might be fine (regardless of polling rate). If that still doesnā€™t work for you, set it to 16 ms. The polling rate specifies how many times per second the computer will poll the device for a change of state; debounce delay, which is part of that input latency setting, specifies how long after an input is registered the keyboard should ignore inputs from the same switch before allowing new inputs.

2 Likes

Both myself and my partner got the GMMK recently and we have the issue with double presses.
I notice it mostly on e and space.

2 Likes

so is the only resolution to lower ms and lower polling rate?

Iā€™ve tried this and still had the same issues.
A quick google search seems to show ALOT of people having this issue.

I have it with two different GMMK proā€™s and even on the lowest polling and debounce times it still occurs. I flashed one with QMK and it stopped happening.

This is an issue with the Glorious Firmware, they need to fix it. Itā€™s not like itā€™s something that occurs in frequently, as I typed this itā€™s happened over 25 times on my tā€™s, eā€™s and spaces.

Interesting that mine has been occurring on the ā€˜eā€™ key as well. Thatā€™s several people in this thread that have identified the same key affected :thinking:

1 Like

Low debounce setting will increase the chances of the chattering. Start at the highest and check again. I had a little bit of chatter and was able to resolve it with 8ms debounce. But if you go lower it will qualify the press before the switch settles.

Iā€™ve been experimenting more with this and realized that there is an asymmetrical debounce that uses eager for actuation and deferred for release. That is, when you press a key, it is sent immediately, then it ignores inputs for x ms until you release the key, then it waits x ms before sending the release. I suppose you could argue that this yields higher input latency for key release, but Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s really a problem many people care about. The end result is low latency for actuation, slightly higher latency for release, and similar accuracy to just using deferred debounce. Iā€™m starting to think maybe this is the route Glorious should take.