Glorious Core Keyboard Lighting Layers

Can someone explain layers to me? It doesn’t seem to work the way I expect it to.

For example, on a GMMK2 I want to set up a base layer of 1 solid color, then the next layer a ripple effect for typing effect, but it doesn’t seem that’s the way it works. It only seems that one layer can be active at a time. If that’s the case, it doesn’t make sense to call it layers.

2 Likes

Hey @leeroy,

As I understand it, only 1 layer can be active at a time. However, you may have a layer that you would prefer for editing versus typing, versus gaming. Each layer is essentially it’s on profile. You can have different button mappings based on each layer.

I hope this helps. You might be right about layers being the incorrect term, but it’s unfortunately relatively universal.

1 Like

Switching layers is just like switching lighting profiles. It works just fine on my GMMK 2.

1 Like

I had a feeling that was the case, although I was hoping I was doing something wrong. Do we know if layering functionality is coming in the future? I guess I’m spoiled from using icue. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

This is the only thing I miss from my Corsair keyboards.

1 Like

ICUE is a very comprehensive software and I hope they eventually take some tips from them. I came looking to see if someone had asked the same thing about the layering system on CORE because I was confused by it as well and how it didn’t do what I initially thought it would. As someone that likes to use the RGB to set a theme I did find that selecting a preset then messing with the “per key” lighting it gave me a decent result. I know that Glorious is working on putting out a software that functions with all of their products down the line so hopefully a true layering system comes with that so we can stack presets on top of each other.

3 Likes

Posted request to add real layering feature, please upvote if you would like to see this.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

and I really like the idea. I didn’t realize how much I love RGB until I saw my GMMK2 next to my kbd 67 lite. I love that shine :sparkles:

1 Like

Thank you!

I hear that. I have a basic 60% in the K65 mini with white pudding keycaps and it’s just an absolute light show lol. So far nothing beats the typing experience on the GMMK pro. Same with gaming. the weight helps a lot.

1 Like

I have to agree on the pro. It’s far and away my favorite feeling/sounding/looking board I have. It’s a little big for the size of my work desk. But if a 65% Pro came around, I would be scouring my brain for a way to justify getting yet ANOTHER keyboard. I currently have 3 at my work desk… and that is after I set my wife up with one. Otherwise it would be 4

2 Likes

I have three as well. Full size, 60%, and now the pro. I justified purchasing the Pro because the 60% was a little frustrating in normal use outside of games having using the function key for things like directional. The 60% is now connected to my laptop I took my full size keyboard to work, which has a lot to do with data entry (need the numpad). I dislike the size and look of a traditional TKL. Pro was in my eyes perfect for everyday use and gaming alike. It also allows me to get a feel for tinkering with keyboards. Heavy af too. Especially since swapped out the aluminum switch board for the brass.