Audio gear, setups, and questions

Since we have threads dedicated to keyboads and other specific areas of interest, I thought it might be time for audio gear/tech to have its own home.

Its my hope that this thread will become a place for us to share our audio setups and ask questions related to different pieces of gear.

1 Like

today i was visiting a relative ( i know its “not tidy” but i dont have to live in it lol) anyways they said “hey your father let uys have this stereo+speakers like 25 yrs ago and they dont work anymore. do you want them?” ummm omg maybe they do know ima turbo virgin nerd haha. needless to say yah i took these home with me and they will be working in thew near future. The set is from 1978 sooo 7 years older then me, also all of the sudden soldering keyboards dont seem so bad… for something closing in on 50 yrs old it was n good shape but o my, the solder and traces after that long. I had to run jumper wires from trace to trace just to see if it worked when power could make it through it. but yah this should be fun. Glorious, time for you to umm broaden your reach. I think you would make a great Amp lol

4 Likes

Sweet, I’m sure that it will fix up real nice! If you can, post some pics of your refurb process and the finished set up

1 Like

i ment they gave it back to me because it was my fathers, but yes i most def will have it running good. i opened it up and it looks like basically just 100% make over, i seen on ebay they make entire rebuild kits. i thought finding parts would be awful.

2 Likes

Oh dang “they” was supposed to be “that it” my bad. Yeah that is cool they gave them back to you because they where your dad’s

1 Like

it had the record player/turn table and 8track recorder/player also and they was 2 of those big speakers. All of them are in very good condiction, asthetics wise. But their circuits need some major work

2 Likes

Threw ya a friends request. I use messenger a lot but not so much actual Facebook

1 Like

yah thats what i ment. i dot use facebook at all, but messenger i do sometimes.

2 Likes

I cant see the model number, but that’s probably a really nice Japanese built amp. I’m a fan of the cleaner front faces like the Kenwood KA series(and I know them better). Personally I have a Kenwood KA-3500 I found scouring local estate sales for close to 8 months.

The Japanese built amps are the best. But be careful replacing some of those traces with wire. These things are extremely underrated. My Kenwood is supposedly 35w/channel. I’m able to drive two similar type of speakers. I rebuilt my cabinets and they have a set of 15’s that easily take 200w each by todays standards. I can’t turn the amp past 4 without it distorting and yes its loud AF. The music sounds more alive and richer.

My wife thought I was crazy on that last part till I did a side by side with our media receiver in the living room. Its impossible to quantify without hearing it.

Congrats on inheriting such a nice piece of equip!

2 Likes

its a Pioneer sx 780 it is a pretty good one , its 300 watts, iv herd it play as a child its just been about 20 years now lol

2 Likes

Damn that is a nice piece. And yes get a rebuild kit or piece it together yourself. Its an amp that’s meant to be serviced unlike anything built today, and there are a ton of people out their repairing and servicing similar amps. So finding parts isn’t hard, but quality parts are worth paying for.

If you must replace caps(probably) Don’t skimp on caps, get the gold’s or equivalent. True Japanese caps are better than others. Its just as crazy as the MK world and gets outrageously expensive over minimal gains and minor differences.

2 Likes

im just old enough for this to still be in my area lol… i had some kickers in high school lol. but this belonging to my late father n all i dont really see that i have much of a choice… the recieve/amp, 2 big speakers that had 4 speakers in each box, record player/turn table, 8 track recorder and even the matching headphones… ill be soldering n measuring for 6 months… n im not gona lie it is on the very edge of my skill. iv never felt nervous fixing something before.

2 Likes

@Dr.Jay your fathers speaker restoration deserves its on spotlight, so I created a thread for a topic that was certainly missing from the forum. I also wanted to avoid taking up too much space in the “What Keyboard build are you currently working on or planning?”, as this seems like a project that will be on going.

1 Like

thats really nice of you and i dont wana sound unappreciative or anythign but idk if i even wana make it into this, i hadnt thought it through when i showed that pic. i might just keep this one for me n mine ya know. but if all goes well iwill def give a update :slight_smile:

3 Likes

DACS: bifrost 2 , topping d10, liquidspark dac
amps:asgard 3 , liquid platinum, liquidspark topping pa3 for the speakers
speakers: micca rb42
Headphones: dt 990 250 ohm modded, dt 880 600 ohm, dt 770 600ohm,nighthawk cabons, thx00 purplehearts, hd58x, hd650, he4xx
i also have a good amount of chifi gear for portables but i really don’t wanna bother listing them.
i am rather new to the game so i dont have anything vintage

2 Likes

No pressure to post updates, and thank you for sharing what you have with the Guild.

1 Like

If you dont mind me asking, which pair of headphones are your favorite? I looked into the DT 990 PRO a year or so back, when I was looking to buy a new set.
I’m currently running a pair of TYGR 300R’s.

I’ve been using them for a couple years now and I enjoy them. Admittedly, I’m not an audiophile at all, but I find them comfortable and haven’t had any issues with them. I have the 250ohm versions powered by the RNHP which then feeds into my GoXLR.

1 Like

what you did is called taking charge lol. no one else had any clue and our most experienced steped up :joy: im jk bro at is a nice collection you got going tho. i will post another pic later when i work on it some and let you all see the traces and insides of that amp. had i not been from the 80s myself i would have no idea about it. it looks like the blank pcbs we learned on in college, simple yet complex.

1 Like

depends on the music and amp pairing each one can be a favorite but my most used is my 880 600 ohm. the 990 is a pretty good heaphone but is by no means should be anyone’s first choice its a very heard to reccomend heaphone, the tuning is far too shar p for most people making it more analytical that it needs to be combine it wuth being hard to drive peaking at around 350 ohms at about 100 hz so if you dont have enough t o power that bass will sound loose and and uncontrolled. the tygr 300r is the perfect alternative better tuned as well as way easier to drive with the same basic performance. my mods use parts form the tygr to tune it to sound closer to the tygr