Anyone still having issues with screws being too tight?

Hi folks. I originally had money set aside for a sas 75%, but decided to buy GMMK Pros, as I like to display my keycaps.

The issue I’m having is that I’ve had trouble with screws for one of my keyboards, and had to RMA it twice, without success. I’ve tried all the tricks, to get the screws out but it’s both too tight and too soft. The reason I want to unscrew it ranges from issues with stabs and wanting to mod it. I went to a PC hobbiest shop to confirm I was using the right screws, but some of the are just ungodly tight and on the PCB, which I do not want to damage.

As this has happened multiple times, it seems like old stock is still potentially in circulation or I’m just very unlucky? I want to love the GMMK, but the RMAs and inconsistency has been very time consuming.

5 Likes

I’ve definitely seen a few others experiencing the same issue recently on the Discord server (i also had the same issue, though that was a few months ago)

3 Likes

I was on the first run of GMMK pro’s and only had one screw that was super tight. The rubber band hack worked for me. It was the top left screw. The board also had a few that felt uncomfortably tight as well but slowly worked them back and forth and they finally broke free.

4 Likes

Thanks for the response. There are just so many screws and if just one screw is too tight and the rubber band method doesn’t work, I can’t get in there to fix the stabilizers.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Which size rubber band did you use? Any chance you can link it on Amazon?

The rubber band method has been 50/50 for me, but I’m thinking it’s possible I didn’t use the right size? Or type?

1 Like

Might be silly to ask, but what kind of screw driver are you using? I have one of the early builds with the smaller punch-out for the stabs (had to file the plate). I have a small screw driver set similar to the ifixit style which fit perfectly. Thought I would check.

1 Like

All good, I considered that too, and have a higher quality screw driver on the way that is used for soft screws that strip.

I can’t remember the screw bit, but tried the ifixit kit I used for building desktops, and the wow stick. A lot of the very tight screws were on the PCB, attached to the stabs, so I was concerned about putting too much pressure

1 Like