Show off your GMMK2 Builds

I think either the GMMK 1 or 2 would be the best bet (I believe the Pro is more for enthusiasts). I’m new to this and was able to lube everything and switch out stabs no problem on the GMMK 2. I don’t know if the GMMK 1 does or not but the GMMK 2 does come with foam preinstalled which is nice.

GMMK 2 is an absolute banger if a first mech keeb. And the Red fox switches are pre lubed and nice. Drop on some GSV2s to give you that tinkerer’s experience, and you’re off to the races. It’s a great keeb out of the box, and has no business being all pre lubed and stuff at that price!

2 Likes

The GMMK 1 does not have foam preinstalled, and it only takes plate mount stabs. It’s available in 3 layouts though. Full size, TKL, and 60 percent, whereas the GMMK 2 comes in 65 percent and 96 percent, which is like a smashed down full size. They both have merit, and depending on your price point, either is a great first step down the rabbit hole.

The Pro is a beast, and brings enthusiast grade features to the table, but it also comes in at a higher price point. It’s very, very customizable, look, feel, sound profile. It’s a complete typing experience.

They’re all hotswap and all RGB, the 2 and pro both have 5 pin PCBs, while the 1 has a 3 pin PCB. You can still use 5 pin switches in the 1, but they’ll need to be clipped.

Anyway, I’ve rambled enough.

Alright, thanks guys!

1 Like

That was cool of you to do! I was in a medically induced coma back in 2020 (not Covid) and almost died three different times but I was able to fight through it and come out the other side alive so I know how important it is to have that support of family and friends and how a small gift from them can have a big impact on how you are feeling and on your mental state after such a scary event. Knowing you have friends and family that care for you like that is a big motivation during both the fight and the recovery process. I am happy to see that he really enjoyed everything you got him and again very cool of you to put such an awesome package together for him

1 Like

Wow, I hope you are doing better! That’s rough

I am doing much better thank you. Yeah I know all about rough though. I had a pacemaker put in at 6 y.o. because my heart rate would drop below 40 bpm when I went to sleep, then cancer when I was 9-10 y.o. in my right knee and they had to amputate my leg above the knee when I was 10 y.o. then by the time I was 25 y.o. I had arthritis because even though I had one leg as a kid it never slowed me down, I did all normal kid stuff like sports, riding bikes, ect. I have a wonderful life though, I have a 9 y.o. son and an amazing supportive family and group of friends so all in all I have a great life and am doing really well. Thanks again

Here is my GMMK 2:

It’s the Pre-Built Compact (65%) GMMK 2 with Glorious Fox Switches. I plan on getting Glorious Panda Switches and the GSV2 Stab’s. I’m still deciding what other Keycaps I might want to get as well. I’ll post an update picture once I finish with the customization’s

5 Likes

Just got my Outer Space Themed Keycaps in and put them on my Keyboard so I wanted to post an updated picture of my now outer Space Theme GMMK 2

A Little Go Blue! in there as well

5 Likes

Go Bucks! :wink:

1 Like

Lol

1 Like

I just placed my order! New to the Guild! Looking forward to having the GMMK 2 :grimacing:

6 Likes

Welcome to the guild! Cant wait to see the pics :camera_flash:

2 Likes

Very nice! What size did you get?

1 Like

Welcome to the guild, very good choice of board and I can’t wait to see it :grin:

1 Like

Updated to Aura caps across the board & color layout

8 Likes

My GMMK2 arrived today (so it’s stock). I have mixed feelings. On its own it looks and feels good, although I’m not a massive fan of the metal top part and plastic bottom part as it doesn’t give a cohesive aesthetic (yes, I care how things look, sue me).

Next to the numpad it doesn’t look or feel right at all due to the different depths and angles (my Huntsman Mini actually looks like a better match next to the numpad). The colors between the two devices don’t seem to want to sync either.

Overall I’m not unhappy with it, the switches feel nice, the sound is good, but it doesn’t feel like the holy grail I’ve been trying to find. It’s possible that finding just the right wrist rest would make a lot of difference but then that’s even more stuff to mess around with.

At this point I think my next step will be to try a low profle mechanical keyboard but I’m struggling to find one I like in a UK layout. The Keychron K3 v2 looks like a viable option but I’m put off by the lack of compatibility with Kailh Chox switches (as I already bought some and would like to try them).

Update: I got a decent wrist rest and it definitely made a huge difference. I can confidently say that while the GMMK2 doesn’t look as good as the Huntsman Mini, it’s a much better typing experience and it may well end up being something I use regularly. I’ve ordered a low profile mechanical logitec just to see how that feels too but I’m definitely feeling better about the GMMK2 than I initially was.

3 Likes

Updated my GMMK2 96% to the CannonKeys NicePBT Transformers Decepticons keycaps. Loving the look and bringing back a favorite childhood cartoon!!

5 Likes

Just recently finished building a GMMK2 65% board in the all-white Aura. Super impressed by the rigidity of the board and the overall build quality. Loving it so far!

6 Likes

Those caps really pop on that board! Looks great!

1 Like