Show off your GMMK2 Builds

My mind is wrecked. Why do you just have keycaps on the desk with a cable randomly placed at the back?

2 Likes

I honestly can’t tell if your joking.

6 Likes

I decided to try some things out with my GMMK2 96%.
Modified the bottom housing with lots of foam (everything covered).
Added switch pads. This probably had the biggest change, and seems to add a bit more thocc to the switches.

The Foxes sound soooo creamy now, and they were before, but more satisfying now. I decided to try my AKKO Silver switches in this and WOW (yes Owen Wilson voice)! Its absolutely satisfying to hear and type on.

Here’s the sound test/video!
GMMK 2 with AKKO Silvers

I still cant personally find a Tactile switch that I like in this board. I know part of this is it being a low profile…

4 Likes

I normally switch keebs frequently, but this has been on my desk since it arrived.:blush:. Haven’t even needed to mod it yet, the fox switches are great. GSV2 stabs are inbound though.

6 Likes

GMMK 2 with the better Glorious logo GMMK key, sorry my phone isn’t the best

6 Likes

Dude… this sounds so good! Thank you for this. Curious about these switch pads you speak of

3 Likes

I could listen to that all day :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

If your curious about what they are, they’re little poron pads that go under the switches.

3 Likes

No one had any problem with cherry-profile keycaps on the GMMK2?

I have tried a lot of switches and keycaps and no issues. I’m using Cherry profile now without a problem.

1 Like

I think the stock stabs are bout near perfect (tweaked to perfection)… but I do now have some GVS2 stabs to install. I’m willing to rebuild with Boba U4T 68g switches if people are interested in hearing what they sound like in this build. I have tried a long list of tactile switches, except the boba’s, which just recently came out of another keeb. I feel like they will sound amazing…

I think I’m still more tactile gang, but I do enjoy me some smooth linear still… I go back n forth.

2 Likes

I really need to figure out a good way to record sound test vids

1 Like

I have a good way and also an easy way. I have a OnePlus 7 Pro I no longer use since I have a newer phone. It records 4K at 60FPS, and just takes really great video. I have a Blue Yeti microphone, and I simply plug it straight into the OP7 phone’s USB C port. Its a micro USB to USB C cable. It just natively knows to use the Yeti as its audio source so all I have to do is hit record on the phone. I do have a mic arm and I let it rest just above the keyboard. I click the mouse so the viewer knows about how loud it is, and also to confirm I haven’t altered the audio… at least that is my assumption on why its done, I saw a bunch of other keyboard sound tests do that haha.

1 Like

Sounds like a good setup! I’ve got my mic on an arm, so I could just turn my mic over and point it at my keeb.

2 Likes

Yes. Some people go as far as mounting the arm to another desk to isolate the mic even further. I use the internal mics on a tascam dr40x to do sound tests.

1 Like

The mouse clicks are likely to sync the audio in post. Some people snap their fingers too. It’s because people record the audio and video on separate devices, and the clicks on the mouse allow you to line up the two separate audio files and eliminate the in camera audio, as it’s usually lower quality than an external mic, or separate recording device.

1 Like

I’ve actually always assumed it was a baseline for volume as well. But I understand the need to sync the vid to the audio. I could do this with my current mic and phone, I suppose

2 Likes

I did google the mouse click stuff, and found all of the same just mentioned. I did get a shock mount for the Mic and it removed all of the deep pangs that were there, though subtle, when using my spacebar. Separate desk would be a more costly venture, unless that is already an option for some.

1 Like

Mostly YouTubers that do this for a living. It doesn’t have to be a desk, anything off your desk that you could mount the arm to, to isolate it would work.

Here’s my pink 65% GMMK 2 setup:
I swapped the switches to Salmon tactiles by Kinetic Labs, and now my board sounds very similar to my GMMK Pro with Glorious Pandas.

11 Likes