Re. Glorious deliveries coming from Hong Kong (Kerry)

We live in a global economy. Most products, electronics or otherwise, aren’t manufactured here. I understand the anxiousness, because I too get bummed when I know it’s going to be forever for a product to arrive versus the few days it normally takes, but to always assume something will be shipped from the US is misinformed.

Whether the items were shipped in bulk here or not, QC isn’t done here anyway. If they were shipped in bulk to the US, they’d likely come already packed and ready to be shipped out.

While Glorious is a US based operation, they sell globally. People in Europe probably don’t care if something comes from the US.

Now, if you want to steer the conversation towards why everything is produced in China and why we don’t have worldwide production similar to China, THAT would he understandable, but know that the US simply doesn’t have the infrastructure in place to handle it. I also think this is an off-topic conversation and not relevant to this.

It’s pretty common to have them separate tracking per vendor.

Kerry is setup and has the systems in place for their tracking process, and even if they wanted to likely couldn’t adapt last mile tracking information (USPS) even if they wanted to.

Let’s say today, some rogue Kerry employee said “I’m just going to use USPS tracking to update because two tracking numbers is silly.

They print out a USPS label just like anyone, and go to scan in…nothing would happen. That information would need to go to some kind of database that Kerry just wouldn’t have access to.

In order to make that happen, Kerry would need access to USPS (likely proprietary system, although could be wrong) and given that they’d be active competitors, I doubt USPS is keen on that happening.

Someone like Amazon uses third party deliver services all the time, but they are physically handing the package off to them, and then just updating their tracking page with the same information that can be copied from the USPS website. THAT is simple data scraping, and would be relatively easy to setup.

Amazon isn’t just a logistics company, like Kerry is and doesn’t have revenue based on actually selling products, so if they were to hand off to another service that could provide one tracking number for the entire route, they’d make no income.

I’ve seen Chinese carriers incorporate last mile tracking into their systems, but they are just taking the tracking number, assigning their OWN tracking number, and copy pasting the same information.

In terms of why someone like USPS doesn’t allow actual incorporation into their systems. (Kerry responsible for transit and USPS is responsible for tracking) it likely comes down to liability and money.

Liability is well the USPS doesn’t ACTUALLY know where your package is, and it’s Kerry updating the tracking information. Well because it’s the USPS website, who do you complain to ? USPS. That is a headache they don’t need.

But more realistically it is probably money. Kerry would likely need to pay the USPS for some kind of integration or service plan, which they either can’t or don’t want to do.

It really bothers me too to find out that something is going to take way longer than expected, or to just have no idea what is going on, but so far it’s been about the same as any other carrier I’ve seen in regards to shipment from China.

TL:DR, it usually takes 14-18 days, and I don’t even bother checking the tracking until day 15/16, because the information isn’t likely to be helpful.

1 Like

As stated, first thing I got from Forge via Kerry had two tracking numbers. One for Kerry and One for USPS.

Like I said, I am not bothered by any of this :slight_smile:

I agree, along with my post I stated that something changed and if its a cost thing it should be re-evaluated.

Agreed and good information for others. :smile:

1 Like

Is anyone else receiving delivery notifications without actually receiving anything? I was expecting USPS for last mile however my tracking information has last been updated as “in transit to delivery facility”.

While I don’t mind inconsistent and infrequent updates, what I’m not happy with is being given conflicting information. I wasn’t expecting a package today because tracking information was not updated as such. Now I’m being told it’s been delivered, so now I have to assume the package is missing, which requires me to reach out to both Kerry (which likely won’t get me very far) and Glorious to start the whole process over again and have a new package shipped out.

1 Like

Mines the opposite.
The last update I have from Kerry is: Processed at destination sorting facility

I checked my mailbox today and got my package without any mention of Canada Post or any email indicating it’s been delivered. I just had a feeling today it was going to be delivered since it was processed on Friday. Canada Post doesn’t deliver on weekends so I am thinking okay, it should be on the truck to my city in a hour or so, about 6am, it’s probably out for delivery then by 8:30am, it should be delivered since that’s how Canada Post delivers things so my guess was correct that mine was in the mailbox.

I have 0 tracking from Canada Post but I know they delivered it because it was directly in my community mailbox, no other postal service has access to open the community mailboxes.

1 Like

Interesting. Thank you for the response.

In the past, when dealing with packages being shipped from China by two different carriers, their tracking information always includes a separate, USPS specific tracking number.

Now while it is in transit in the possession of the Chinese carrier, the USPS label will typically just say “Label created, not yet in system”.

Then, almost immediately, as soon as the first carriers tracking updates as “Handed off to USPS”, the USPS tracking information is updated to give a delivery day, and more specifc information on tracking within the US.

Sometimes it is my local post office, other times it is a major US city which I’m sure is used as a major hand-off between international logistics companies and the USPS (LA, NY, sometimes Chicago which is local to me) - but I never fail to get an updated tracking number from USPS FROM the carrier itself.

As shown above, the Kerry tracking information shows as at my local post office, at least I’m assuming that is where it is located.

As you mentioned, and in my experience, the day it shows up at my local post office is the day it is sent out for delivery. This was (in part) confirmed by receiving a delivery notification from Glorious.

I’m still at a loss as to how Glorious is determining that it was delivered. Support tells me “it should be there in 2-5 days”, but that doesn’t explain why I’m receiving a delivery notification.

I’m assuming this is all automatically generated, but that still doesn’t explain why they would generate a delivery notification if there is no tracking information that suggests this as true.

If they have separate tracking information (say for USPS), why don’t I have that information.

If they don’t, and they are operating on the Kerry tracking information, why would they send out delivery confirmation when Kerry’s tracking info does nothing to suggest this is the case.

As I mentioned just a few days ago, I’m well seasoned in shipments from different countries, specifically China, so I’m usually never anxious/upset enough to warrant reaching out to forums for complaints.

I’m assuming the best here and assuming that it was handed off to the local carrier, and Kerry’s responsibility is now over, which then turns into Kerry saying it was “delivered” and then Glorious repeating that information, which is fine… IF it was explained somewhere within their tracking information or the email that was sent out, which it wasn’t.

2 Likes

Update: Our logistics team has investigated this issue of delivery notices being sent prematurely and found the culprit. Seems this was issue with the 3rd party AfterShip integration that we use to send delivery notifications.

Delivery notices are in fact being sent when its handed off to the local post office, rather than at the customers doors. In most cases the packages are arriving to customers about 1-2 days after these notices are sent.

It is not occurring with every order, and the AfterShip development team is currently working on a fix.

In any case, your packages are likely safely on the way and should arrive shortly. Sorry for any confusion here!

5 Likes

As always you all are amazing with keeping us updated. Thank you so much @Xel

1 Like

Thank you for the response.

My hopeful suspicions were correct that it was delivered to the USPS, which I’m guessing fulfilled Kerry’s responsibilities.

The confusion was the cause of no updated to their tracking information.

Not sure if it is possible, but being updated with the last mile (in my case, USPS) tracking info either by Glorious or by Kerry themselves might be helpful.

1 Like