Preferred Keyboard RGB Style

What is your preferred way to set up your keyboard RGB lighting?

• One solid color
  • Dynamic color pattern (i.e. breathing, wave)
  • Custom per key colors
  • Off
  • Other

0 voters

2 Likes

I thought I really liked a color wave of a single color. But I can’t help watching the rainbow.

3 Likes

I switch between all of them I really enjoy reactive-type tho. Currently, I’m using “Fast Run Without Trace”

3 Likes

Ah fair point, let me add reactive to the list of options!

*edit: well dang, it doesn’t let you update poll options after the first 5 mins the poll is live. The more you know I guess haha.

3 Likes

Let’s just consider it other or drop a like on my comment

1 Like

I’ve found myself in the group that just turns them off these days. Fell out of the RGB fad.

2 Likes

I have one solid color with one of the wave animations at the slowest speed. I did this with both the gmmk, and gmmk 2. The gmmk was vertical waves, like waves on a beach, the gmmk 2 is side to side. I don’t like my rgb too busy honestly. I have done per key to highlight function keys in the past, but I don’t care for rainbow as the nicest way to put it as it’s frankly annoying. I actually dislike it when devices default to rainbow, and do not have a hardware profile so it requires the software be running to force that profile every time, and part of why I like glorious products, they can be programmed without software, along with being a linux user you basically can’t run windows software.

Now with the software running if you could do stuff like change the color to the cpu temp, or even a set of keys showing cpu usage/temp across the numbers/F keys that would be kinda cool. Like if a keyboard was wireles you could see the battery level by pressing a Fn key combo to see the 1-0 light up for the battery level, etc

With the trend in custom keyboards, and people buying non shine through keycaps argb isn’t a huge selling feature anymore too. I do however still like illuminated keyboards with shine through keycaps, and being able to change the color is nice.

2 Likes

My go to is the one where every press sets a wave of color towards the edges…feel like theres a name but I forget

4 Likes

My build is based on a botanical theme, so my rgb is meant to mimic a rainy forest aesthetic

2 Likes

I find myself switching around all the time. Sometimes I use RGB puke gamer mode, sometimes solid, sometimes off. Depends on my mood I guess. More options the better!

3 Likes

I like to mix it up. Sometimes I like a single colour on something like wave or breathing. My daughter likes to put on anything rainbow lol. I do wish core had the worm option. Where the colour races around the board like a centipede.

2 Likes

Currently I keep my Gmmk Pro off :sweat_smile:

I have cherry pbt milkshake keycaps which well, the led does shine through the colourful keycaps of the set. I think depending on the keycaps, a solid colour isnt bad

1 Like

I usually just go for one solid color, but it depends. My GMMK Pro currently has a static rainbow effect because it has the Aura keycaps on it, but once the grapefruit caps show up, that will probably change to a solid color (or a different color wave) that compliments those instead. But I don’t generally care for anything animated, it’s too distracting.

2 Likes

I keep my GMMK 2 on either ‘Glorious’ mode or the one mode where each key is a different color and it changes every 1-2 seconds, reminds me of colored marshmallows from a cereal or something lol. But my LOTR custom keeb I keep that on a single color.

2 Likes

For me, it depends on my board theme. Here are my active/in-progress keyboards with backlighting:

Keyboard Theme Backlight Pattern
GMMK Pro E-White Glorious
(I know: it should be solid white, but I love the rainbow)
GMMK TKL Cyberpunk Solid (magenta)
GMMK Compact OEM Random colors on all keys (no fade)
GMMK Full Midnight Rainbow Solid (blue)
Drop ALT Vintage IBM Solid (green)
Keychron K2 OEM Solid (white)
Kenesis Freestyle Edge OEM RGB Wave (L→R)
Tiger 80 TBD TBD
5 Likes

This is quite the collection! Thanks for the breakdown. Interesting to see what people prefer.