Panda Switches - Poor Quality?

I received panda switches with my GMMK Pro back in May. I’ve had about 6 of these fail since then. Is that normal? I never had to replace my previous Cherry MX (different board) switches over 4 years of use. The failure is that the switch registers a double input. Mainly happens on my high use WASD but did happen on my CTRL button the other day. Really annoying as the switches aren’t cheap.

Anyone else experience this?

4 Likes

I have not had this happen! Hopefully it was just a bad couple of switches mine have been great so far.

I’ve noticed this happening with this exact combination. What I’ve noticed is that the hotswap sockets on the GMMK Pro are slightly looser than other hotswap sockets and the pins on the pandas are slightly thinner. I’ve found that slightly bending the pins in opposite directions creates better contact with the socket and that resolved the issue for me.

12 Likes

I had one go bad the same way in my regular GMMK board.

1 Like

Yo thanks a lot I just tried it on the 3 switches I was having issues with and it seems to have fixed it. I was a bit scared at first.

3 Likes

I had 2 switches not work at all when I received them and after 4 months, 8 have the double typing issue. Luckily I had to buy 3 boxes of switches for my GMMK Pro so I had enough extra ones but it’s a little concerning so many of my switches are bad

2 Likes

That’s a big brain move right there! Nice tip!

3 Likes

I thought the double typing problem was related to the latency and polling settings, not a faulty switch. I had that issue too and recently changed my latency to 8ms. Today is a new day and I’m waiting to see if I still experience the issue anymore.

1 Like

I actually had a switch in my batch that doesn’t actuate each time. It bottoms out but the keyless isn’t registered. Swapped out and it’s working fine. Unfortunate these are a new order I just out together so may contact customer support but it’s only one switch and I got 3x36 for the tenkeyless. I have extras.

I have this happening with several keys. I reported it to support. Support advised me to disassemble the keyboard, which I didn’t think was a reasonable response to a failing switch. I don’t know what to do as they said I would receive an email followup, which I didn’t.

I cannot comment about Panda switches. I use Ink Black V2s on PC plate. About 25 switches are loose and would easily come off when you try to remove the keycap. However, there is no issue in day-to-day activity. I do have 2 failed switches.

I’ve used Kiwis on Alu plate. Pretty much hated the tactile nature and sold them (they were beautiful-looking switches though) But they did fit in nicely and were barely any loose switches.

In case anyone is curious about a year later. GMMK replaced the keyboard which did absolutely nothing. The failing switches that I pulled from the old keyboard failed the same on the new keyboard. I also tried the switches in another mechanical keyboard I have and the faulty switches were still faulty. The issue persisted when plugged in to different PCs as well. I thought maybe the batch of switches I originally received was bad so I bought a new box of the GMMK Panda switches on Amazon a month ago to continue replacing faulty switches. Well I just had one of the switches from the new box fail. My 83 switch keyboard has had 52 switches replaced in the past 15 months. Such a shame as I love the feeling of the switches :frowning:

The issue is all over reddit now so I don’t think the poor quality is news anymore.

Sounds unlucky. Personally, I would just buy different switches and move on from the Glorious Pandas. Glorious Pandas are expensive and fits loosely on boards. I currently am using Glorious Pandas on my F row keys for my Bubble75, just using a keycap pulling also pulls the switch out just like it did with Gmmk Pro.

Maybe look into Zealios v1 Redux or consider Boba U4T. I personally like my Zealios more for a tactile switch option compared to Glorious Pandas. I noticed Glorious Pandas are scientifically louder. Zealios is a lot smoother and sounds better than Glorious Pandas in my own opinion.

I know this is an old thread, but thought I’d add my experience as I’ve officially run out of extra switches and am moving on from Pandas. I’ve had 15-20 of my Glorious Panda’s fail out of the 3 packs I bought during the first wave orders. I’ve legit never had a switch fail before, but these Pandas are dropping like flies. It’s for sure the switch, same issue if I move them into another board, and lots of people on Reddit experiencing the same thing. I suspect there was a manufacturing defect on these, whether Glorious admits to it or not.

Thanks for the follow up. That sounds super unfortunate. I think it would be worth reaching out to glorious support to see if there is anything they can do for you. That is a lot of switches to go bad in such a short period of time.

What switches are you moving on to? While I’m less into tactile switches as I have seen the linear light, I have greatly enjoyed the the boba U4Ts. Keep us posted on whatever you choose to do.

1 Like

Just bought the GMMK Pro board with the raptor switches and noticed this issue with more than just few switches and was wondering wtf was going on. I was about to actually take my keyboard back to the store to get another.
I came across your comment and immediately was able to find a switch that I thought would cause an issue based on your description and sure enough it didn’t work when I put it in. I took it out and spread the pins in the opposite direction slightly and popped it back in and it worked immediately. Thank you so much for this post :pray: :man_bowing:

2 Likes

old thread but adding that 3 of 4 of my gmmk pro keyboards have different keys that random type 2 characters with a key press and sometimes don’t register a keypress. Support make it sound like they never heard of this. Today, I got a RMA for one of the 3 boards. Waiting to hear on the second. Support has been awful.

Pop a patience potion so you can deal with sarcastic condescending support personnel who expect you have a pro video studio and your own personal dropbox account for sharing that video with them. Taking a video demonstrating the problem with one hand while you use the other hand to try to type keystrokes separated with a space, and get good shots of your invoice and the serial number is more challenging that it sounds. Support should have a better/easier way to get the info they need. They are awful to deal with.

I understand your frustration. I’ve had to do the same thing with a mouse I was having issues with. I will ask you refrain from name calling here. It does seem like a pain, and I promise the video I sent won no Oscars. But with as bad as my video was, support had no issue helping me out.

Hoping you can get some kind of resolution. It really sucks having to wait for something to get returned/refunded/replaced.

4 Likes

I’ve had nothing but good interactions with customer support…is it a pain to film a video sure but they’ve always been nothing but helpful

4 Likes