Model D Wireless without dongle?

Is there any way to use my Model D Wireless without the dongle? I’ve had Bluetooth LE mice in the past that could be connected directly to my laptop’s BT. Is that possible with the current hardware given a firmware update, or is it never going to happen? Or is this a feature already and I’ve missed it somehow?

If it isn’t currently possible it would be something worthwhile to think about. It’s been a while since I’ve seen a laptop without built-in BT and it is really nice to not have to worry about the dongle disappearing, or leaving it in and possibly damaging the USB port.

1 Like

Doesn’t look like the MDW has a built-in bluetooth transmitter, so it won’t be possible to add that functionality down the road with a firmware update. Maybe the next version of the mouse will have built-in bluetooth, but for now I’m assuming it was left out to help keep the weight low.

1 Like

I thought the page just says it’s 2.4 GHz wireless but doesn’t mention what kind of protocol they’re using on that band

1 Like

Yeah it does, but I assume if it was using bluetooth they would be advertising it, instead of just listing 2.4 Ghz.

Also, the previous wireless mice did not have bluetooth capability either.

1 Like

Ya, that’s a fair point. I wonder how different the hardware is between a BT and non-BT transmitter/receiver operating on the same band

1 Like

It is quite different as the Bluetooth standard isn’t that great, most products that do have both a Bluetooth and proprietary wireless connection urge users to use the proprietary connection unless they are unable to. For example headsets would have more latency and and worse sound quality and mice would be more likely to have more latency and a lower polling rate. So it is understandable why they would leave it out to keep the mouse light instead. It would be great if they made a newer Bluetooth standard or someone else did that was just in most devices, similar to what apple does with their chips that have wireless connectivity to each other that is better than Bluetooth but more universal. I will agree that it can be inconvenient to not have it as a back up tho. Also if you need they sell a replacement dongle in both black and white availability/shipping will of course vary based on region tho: Wireless Mouse Dongle Kit (pcgamingrace.com)

2 Likes