GMMK Pro Over-Lube Problems

My space bar stabs were so over-lubed I couldn’t use my GMMK Pro. Tried cleaning the lube off with a thin paint brush, but that didn’t help at all. Replaced them with Durok V2s and the problem went away.

3 Likes

Mine were sticky but not due to excessive lube as far as I could tell. The little pads underneath the stabs were sticky even when I wiped them off. It seemed like they were breaking down due to temperature or a bad reaction to something else. When I pulled them off the PCB everything worked perfectly.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m not actually sure how much of mine was due to the lube and how much of it was due to those pads. I didn’t know they were there until I disassembled everything.

Unfortunately, even after cleaning it off with alcohol and believing I had gotten all of the adhesive from the pad off, it still sticks every once and a while. Not bad enough to cause a second capital letter in most cases, but bad enough it makes my skin crawl a little – it’s weird.

1 Like

Damn, I should have read this post before disassembling the whole board :slight_smile:

I got mine around a week ago, after months of waiting (reservation was made at the beginning of March) and after the first keyboard was lost in the post. The board took over a month to arrive and clear customs (I live in the EU), so any thoughts of returning it were out of the question.

I love the look and feel of the board, but I must admit that my first impressions we not the best, as I initially had a tough time popping in the glorious pandas that I had on hand. I thought that maybe I was doing something wrong till I tried some Purple Zealios V2’s I had kept as a backup, and they popped in with relative ease (mostly). I would have thought that their own switches should fit perfectly.

I hadn’t noticed the over lubing on the stabs till I put everything together, including nearly all of the keycaps. The left shift and Space keys are the worst and are practically unusable, which is very disappointing, to say the least, given the price point of this product and how much the whole build has cost me.

I have been scouring the internet today to find solutions to rectify this and ended up disassembling the board to check out the landing pads.

The areas on the board around the stabs are full of grease, and the landing pads seem to be porous and retain and secrete lube when pressed. I read somewhere that removing those or covering them with electrical isolation tape remedies the issue.

Overall, not impressed by the whole process, although, as I wrote, I do like the look, feel and general heft of the board. I just wish I didn’t have to go through all this from the get-go. I would have done it eventually; I just didn’t want to do it now. Friends of mine who were eyeing the board and were waiting to hear my first impressions don’t seem to be so keen to take the plunge now…

Just to mention that I am no stranger to Glorious products, I own 3 of their mice and 2 mousepads and 1 wrist rest which I all like. Their online support (emails) is excellent, and they sent me out the keyboard with minimal hassle once they checked that the initial order was lost. I just wish they would tighten up their checks on QC (I have been reading a lot about it, it never happened to me before).

2 Likes