Dac/Amp Combos

Thanks for the info. I’m also running out of desk space. I built my desk for a smaller space than what I have now, so I’ll probably just build a bigger one.

My only issue with the Mackie is the green stripe, which sounds crazy, but I’d prefer something more neutral. I think the Adam monitors sound like they might be it, or maybe the Presonus, but 4.5. IDK, but I’m sure whatever I choose, it won’t be the only te I make this choice :rofl:. I’m getting familiar with how these rabbit holes work.:joy:

You can. I’ve been running a Schiit stack for about a month now and the Magni Modi will adjust based on the software volume setting.

1 Like

If your desk space is at a premium, you might want to look at the Soundrise stands. I have the PRO-9’s for my T5V’s . They put the speakers up at ear level, isolate them from your desktop with regard to vibrations, and give you some desk space back as well.

They’re a little pricey but worth it IMO.

Here they are on my very messy desktop…

2 Likes

Gotta appreciate the hart audio cables rock some custom hart as well. Even though I have gripes about build quality they still end up being my first choice to reccomend.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve had one cable that had a loose connection in it but they were really good about getting me a replacement. Shipped it out as soon as I had a tracking number for the defective one.

I actually just placed my first custom shop order last week (everything else I have is either standard or a boutique buy). Can’t wait to see how it turns out.

1 Like

That is a desktop that gets good use! Great setup.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

All of my orders from them are custom…they have awesome customer service and I your part of hifiguides make sure to mention that to them as they have this ongoing promo with hifiguides members which gives you a small discount.
Also here’s my personal setup sadly my headphone collection is super midfi hell

4 Likes

Nice Schiit stack. I had originally ordered a Modius/Magnius stack from them back in early 2021, right before they started giving accurate ETA’s on the product pages. Mine kept changing right before the ETA date would hit, went on for a couple months before I cancelled. After that I ended up buying my Topping 90 stack from Marcello AKA MRHifiReviews at a pretty good price.

Some day I might double back and get a Bifrost/Jot stack, though I’m also thinking about the Ares II and Burson Soloist…

2 Likes

I love ares 2 but ultimately decided on bifrost 2 as it paired better with gear I owned and gear I was going to buy in the future. I love my asgard but a new better amp could be cool. But I need a nice headphone to compliment what I already have first.

1 Like

Maybe a Focal? Elegia, Elex, or OG Clear. Headphones.com has them for $890 ATM:

This is awesome.

1 Like

I’m still looking for a good combo unit in the sub 200 range. The zen V2 seems hard to beat

I’ve been thinking about the clear for a while now. But as you can see I’m also a big fan of Beyerdynamics…and biodynamic drivers. So I’m leaning more Beyer t1mk2 or a fostex

1 Like

That’d be a dealbreaker for you, @ChronicMayhem . The Zen V2 does not allow you to control volume via Windows. You have to use the knob. I know this from personal experience…

2 Likes

Well poop. I guess that wouldn’t be the end of the world, Just a bit of an inconvenience

That issue aside, it’s a great little piece of hardware. SE and 4.4mm balanced outputs (so you can expand to add more powerful amps), then there’s “The Fun Button”… X-Bass works surprisingly well (and it does work on the outputs as long as you set the output volume switch to variable).

why specifically a combo unit? I general advise against a combo unit unless for very specific reasons/

Mostly just for less desk space and easy to use

1 Like