Cloth Mousepad Care

Question about the Glorious cloth mousepad: I received a Glorious Stealth size Large cloth mousepad in the mail today. Upon opening it, the pad somehow got flattened out in the box despite the wrapping and is pretty wrinkled. Moving my Model O- over it is like driving on a potholed MN road come spring–very noticeably bumpy. The left side stitched edging is also all wrinkled and won’t lay flat, which is purely an aesthetic annoyance.

I realize these things happen, especially if a product has been sitting boxed for a long time. I’d rather not go through the hassle of a return.

Can I wash the mousepad or iron it to reduce wrinkles (any ideas on washer/dryer or iron settings?)? Heavy books on it for a day did nothing to smooth it out.

3 Likes

Might try a hand steamer? I mean an iron is kinda the same thing but I would make sure that the heat isn’t too high and try to get lots of steam, more steam than pressure might help. Granted this is just an idea, I have never tried it.

3 Likes
4 Likes

I personally would do the hand wash method from that Guide that way you can control the warmth of the water and the warm water should help take out any wrinkles then hang it up and let it air dry

I don’t recommend Ironing it, I personally would not put an Iron to it unless it was my last possible solution

4 Likes

Thanks @Dozill & @FeloniousHunk for the links and recommendations. I’m going to try the handwash method first and see how it goes. If I can’t get the wrinkles out via wash I will try a hand steamer as an $8 experiment lol. Appreciate the responses. Take care!

3 Likes

No problem, good luck. Let us know how it all works out

1 Like

Unfortunately washing it in the machine per the instructions on the link you shared didn’t make any difference. If I can get my hands on a steamer I may try that, otherwise I’ll try to iron it on a really low setting and call it an experiment. But I’m not going to pull out the iron just for this. I pulled out another mouse pad for the time being.

All this swapping around (and a Black Friday GMMK Pro barebones) has me questioning all my desk palate choices currently :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would try using an iron, hand steamer, or even a hairdryer in cool setting. Remember to put a cold wet towel over it and use low settings. You can also try folding it the other way and try the 3 methods I mention with a wet towel. Usually, those 3 tools have the lowest setting or something similar. Irons should have a delicate setting.

1 Like

You can try to bump the heat up a little bit while you have the cold towel over the mousepad. I would try doing it while is folded in half in the opposite direction so it evens out. I’ve tried this with a similar rubber material for a gasket, mouse pad should be a little easier to even out.

1 Like

I’d have never in a million years thought to put a wet towel over the mousepad. Thanks for the suggestion!

In all honesty, Id contact Glorious support and explain the issue to them. Since the item showed up in less than new condition, and is causing issues with the performance of the pad, they may offer to exchange it for a new one.

1 Like

Doesn’t want to go through the return process. I understand returning things can be annoying if it’s not Amazon. Glorious seems to get things done on time though, return would’ve been my first option. They might’ve would’ve sent a new one because keeping broken things isn’t work the space or time.

1 Like

I appreciate this perspective–and normally this would’ve been my go to response as well, however I’ve been genuinely curious as to whether a work around exists to smooth out a cloth mousepad and I’m willing, in this case, to bite the bullet on an $8 item to experiment a bit.

As an avid board gamer I have purchased neoprene playmats and larger neoprene tabletop surface playmats that have come in similar states at much higher cost and I’ve not messed with anything on those fronts–it’s been an immediate return–but a part of me has always wondered if it’s possible to smooth out the wrinkles.

My hope was that the PC community, a naturally ingenious and inventive lot, already had a workaround. The board game community did not, lol.

So yeah–I realize I’ve actually spent more time on the forums now than it would’ve taken me for a return :joy:…but I’ve genuinely enjoyed the interaction with other members.

This is a pretty great community!

1 Like

I have the exact same problem with an XL mousepad. It looks like it was folded up and maybe stored that way before being rolled up and put in the package. I also bought an XXL and had no problem with that and have another XL and no problem with that. It’s just the white XL that I have this problem with and have not found a solution. That is why I am here :slightly_smiling_face: