Arcade Games: Controller or Keyboard?

TMNT: Shredder’s Revenge just dropped today, and I left my controller at home. This means I’m forced to play it on my laptop keyboard until this evening.

Are there any crazy people out there that actually prefer playing arcade style games on a keyboard? Or are we all sane controller users?

Also, I know there are people here with sweet arcade stick setups at home, so let’s see them!

3 Likes

I have no idea how people would prefer to play that style game with a keyboard… unless it had switch pads (Sorry @Pseudo. I had to.)

@TechwithCraw probably has a whole spread to display. Looking forward to the pictures in this thread!

4 Likes

I’m one of those weirdos who actually has a USB arcade stick at home, so… neither?

That said, I also don’t play arcade games nearly as much as I thought I might when I bought it.

Also… obligatory “Glorious Arcade Stick when?” :sweat_smile:

I prefer mouse and keyboard on just about anything I play, but the key bindings don’t translate well for some titles. So I’ve got this cheap USB Xbox style controller for those situations. You can certainly remap the key bindings, but some games just weren’t meant to be played with mouse and keyboard.

If I was going to be playing anything that fell into the arcade or 2D fighter category, I would want to play with a fight stick. I have too many good memories of standing around arcade cabinets with friends and shoveling quarters to play them any other way.

@LiquidMaverick you gotta say his name 3 times to summon him. Tech is like fighter Beetlejuice

2 Likes

Years of playing SC2 at 300apm have apparently shredded my wrists, so nowadays I try to play most things with a controller.

Cause ergonomics. Am old man.

1 Like

For some games I prefer controller and some I prefer m&k. Depends on the game except for racing games, those are controller only.

1 Like

The first wiring shot is a work in progress. It’s pretty much wrapped up. There’s some crossover as a few brands of arcade buttons use mechanical switches. One more thing to disassemble and lube.:face_exhaling:

4 Likes

Can you please teach me how to build my own?

3 Likes

Absolutely. I’ve got some diy case reviews on my channel, but I’m working on a whole build tutorial.

2 Likes

3 Likes